cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: S7 edge not compatible with samsung pay?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Like many others here, I am in the same boat.  I wouldn't call my phone an 'international' one; yes I bought it abroad, but for my own piece of mind I reflashed it with the XEU/BTU firmware to make it UK centric (default language on first use etc).

SamsungJay and SamsunJuan have both said the same thing, which is basically that your device has to be one which has been 'created for the market'.   That's nice, informative in a way, but ultimately completely useless to us here on this forum.

Below are the steps I took to resolve.

DISCLAIMER: by continuing onto and proceeding with the steps below, you accept all risk and can not hold me responsible for any loss  or unwanted side effects as a result of following what I did.  

(I'm the paranoid type! Sorry!!)

STEPS:

1) web search for 'apkmirror samsung pay'

2) download and 'sideload' (install) the samsung pay .apk (you may need to change a setting in your phone which allows installation from unauthorised sources). Once installed, go to step 3. (DON'T OPEN IT NOR REGISTER A CARD AT THIS STAGE as the info will be lost in the next steps)

3) Open Galaxy Apps (it may be located in the Samsung folder in your app list)

4) Search for Samsung Pay - IT WILL NOW BE FOUND --> because it is actually on your device now
5) Using the Galaxy App store, uninstall and then re-install Samsung Pay  (this got me round the issue of the (sideloaded) app saying it couldn't access my sim properly - Invalid Sim Card, or Unable to read phone number, messages like that).
6) Open Samsung Pay

!!! It should now work !!!

For Gear watch users: 

At this stage, my Gear kept saying "Keep Gear connected to your device" and wouldn't connect with Samsung Pay on the phone. So, moving on...
7) Open the Samsung Gear app on your phone
8) Straight away on the main screen, you should see a section in the middle about Payments (below the status icons and above Suggested Watch Faces).

9) Click there and follow the prompts - mine then updated both the phone and the Gear and now they both communicate with each other.

I had a glitch where the phone app told the Gear to setup a screen lock but the Gear wouldn't respond; a reboot of the watch fixed that, although I did have to click Retry on the phone a couple more times before it came up.

10) I can't remember the last bit exactly, but I think once I had setup the PIN code on the Gear, it just worked.

I haven't tested making an actual payment yet!  I am going to try using it over the next few days and we will see!

Good luck to you all!

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Just did a quick test at my local store - payment with watch didn't seem to register at all, like the NFC wasn't working. Payment with phone worked tho' it took a couple of seconds longer holding the phone to the NFC reader before it beeped to confirm payment.
Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Update: just tried in a different shop and it worked there with my watch no problem.
Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Yup ! I tried butt nothing find like samsung pay.. 😂
Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

its really stupid from Samsung that international models dont work with Samsung pay. the phone is priced at the uper layer of the price curve and intended audience is more of a professional and business user. and these users are mostly on the go like me, and would like to use our cards everywhere they shop from regardless of the country so if VISA can support that why is SAMSUNG so reluctant, if they hadnt came out with a proper solution why rollout such a feature. quite furstrating for the user. using stock unlocked s7 international model but cant update to get smasung pay. 

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi, did you resolve it now? I am also meeting this problem now, I bought S7e from official website and it must be unblocked.

Highlighted

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Wow that sounds frustrating.  You know what really frustrating I broke the screen on my Samsung Galaxy S6 Active and I cannot get it repaired.  Best buy can't fix it, the guy in the mall can't fix it, Samsung authorized repair center wont fix it,  I can't mail to Samsung because they will not fix out of warrenty phones at this time.  So i am stuck with a $600 phone that I cannot pay someone to fix.  Thanks Samsung. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

No. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Nope. Not for me. I install android pay for now.
Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Do as they say in the link below and you will be all set. Note International Variants only.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s7/how-to/nougat-samsung-pay-step-step-guide-t3544582