Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rfpatterson
Cosmic Ray

Re: S7 edge pink line down screen

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Marcos, 

I appreciate that Samsung is finally owning up to a manufacturing flaw.  Unfortunately Samsung is not taking complete responsibility by leaving those of us with cracked screens with unusable displays.  Almost every phone I ever owned has suffered a cracked screen.  It has never been a problem for me until now, thanks to the manufacturing defect that Samsung shrugs off by claiming a voided warranty.  My pink line started before the screen cracked, yet I am stuck with it for another year until my lease is paid.

The only recourse I have is to never purchase Samsung products of any kind, and to continue spreading the word about Samsung quality (or lack thereof) and poor customer service.

Highlighted
userNCMRQg5wFQ
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This same thing started happening to my S7 Edge after about six months of use.   Then it would go away and reappear after a few weeks. About eight months on the line reappeared and never left. 

Through my T-Mobile store I had it replaced under warranty. They are things I did along the way to better the odds of getting it replaced. 

1)   Document the issue. You can't take a screen shot to document. Use another phone and take a picture of your screen. 

2)  Immediately taken the phone to your local carrier store and have them put a notation in your account acknowledging that the line exists on the phone on that date. 

3) Do not call Samsung directly to ask what to do. In my case they wanted me to send in the phone for examination and then charge me for whatever repairs we're needed. I would be out of a phone for 11 days or more.

When  I brought the phone into my local store then final time they were well aware of my issue and processing the warranty replacement paperwork  was handled right away.

You will be asked if the phone has been dropped or has water damage. I know they is a way they  an tell if water has seeped in... Not so sure about a sensor to know if the phone has suffered an extreme drop.  I'm told if either of these have happened the odds of getting a replacement are pretty much wiped out.  

From what I was told the problem is with something called the digitizer starting to fail. Apparently it is a pretty common issue. When I walked into Best Buy's Samsung section at a nearby store when I asked for help and said "pink line" one of the techs chimed in ".... Oh that's the digitizer. You'll need a new phone.  We see that all the time. " 

I'm about three months into my replacement phone.  Around the six month mark I will be watching for the return of the pink line. 

Rick

userWR3k6y0MrE
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Well Samsung your customer service has gotten even worse. I didn't think it was even possible but you've stooped to a new low of gross incompetence and complete disregard for the customer. After my phone sat in the warehouse for a week (delivered by UPS on 02-13) Just today (02-20) it was "received" with an expected repair date of 02-27. This is after I had already sent my phone in on 01-12 (delivered by UPS on 01-17) on 1-27 I received my phone back UNREPAIRED and in fact DISASSEMBLED! There was NO contact by samsung to me, no emails, no phone calls, NOTHING. I called on the 26th to find out why my phone was being sent back unrepaired (according to the self tracking). I was told that they would expidite the repair... It took til 2-10 to get a new shipping label and then when I finally sent it in it sat for a week not "received" and now another week wait time... This is what they call an expidited repair???? My phone has been either at your repair center or IN PIECES AT THE HANDS OF YOUR TECH for over 5 weeks and another week is expected???? This is completly unacceptable. You should have sent me a new phone 2 or 3 weeks ago at your incompetance. Absolutly the last samsung device that I or my family will ever purchase. 
To the person above that mentioned lawsuit, count me in. 

Chadpip
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Did they replace it that day, or did you have to send it to Samsung and do without a phone in the meantime? Has anyone had theirs replaced by AT&T? 

rvs0002
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Had the same problem with my S7 Edge bought in November 2016. Pink line appeared In January.  I lived with it for about a month waiting to see if Samsung would do a recall. Of course not.

I took it back to Best Buy where i bought it. They told me I had to send it in to Samsung since it was over 30 days old. I had them look it over so that I could have witnesses that it was in perfect shape after hearing horrer stories about Samsung service. They agreed that it looked perfect (it was kept in a case from day 1 and no drops). 

I called in and the rep was really nice and said he wasn't aware of any issues like I was describing (ummm, right...) but sent me a shipping label and assured me it would be taken care of. I was pretty happy as that seemed really easy. I mailed the package off and waited.

After not hearing anything for 3 days after it was delivered and the website showing "not rec'd), I sent an email asking why it was still showing that way on the website. The next day i got an update email on my ticket stating that it was there and had been checked over and would be covered under warranty. Nice! 

Then, the next day I got another updated email stating that the status was changed and since there was damage to the phone I would need to pay $70 to have it fixed as it was no longer under warranty. Here we go.

I called in and got a nice rep, but he said there was nothing he could do for me. The notes by the tech said there was damage and as such I had to pay. I said a few choice words and preceeded to tell him that I had already had the phone checked by several CS reps at best buy who agreed the phone was in mint condition when I sent it. I also had pics of the way I packed it (extra protection). I asked to talk to a manager. After being on hold for about 5 minutes, the rep came back on and said that he talked to the manager and they agreed to fix my phone for free as a "one-time courtesy" but the warranty was no longer good for future repeairs.

I told them that was fine as once this phone dies there are no more Samsung products in my future anyway. Package was just delivered, so we'll see what i get when I get home tonight.

Good luck to others and don't take no for an answer!

userUrszEDvVqZ
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Model: SM-G935R4

Baseband: G935R4TYS4APL1

I've had this pink line since 11/16. I spoke with tech support at the time and they asked me to perform several tasks including factory reset. As I suspected it was nothing like that since it goes away on pressure. They asked me to return the phone, but at the time I could not be without the phone for more than a day for business. 

Since then, the line is a pixel wider it seems, in the same spot. I've tried various other solutions, but none work.

I took the phone to my carrier, US Cellular, and they said deal with Samsung for warranty issues, and have seen several with pink lines. Salesman also was an ios fan and weakly attempted to claim it was android issue.....

A week ago I sat on bleachers with my phone in my back pocket, it is now cracked on the back. After reading these forums, am I to understand that Samsung will do nothing now? 

Judging by the many posts in here, and elsewhere, this is without a doubt an issue with this particular model. I'm more than willing to pay for the glass back since I realize that removing it in one piece is now difficult. 

I'm definitely on the edge here, no pun intended. Been a loyal Samsung guy for many years, and I get them for the entire family. I'm a fan of Samsung pay and also purchased three of the VR headsets. My daughter broke the front glass on her S7 Edge and I paid to have it replaced no problem. This however is quite a statement if this is truly Samsung's stance/policy. Are we Edge users reaping the effects of the Note 7 issue?  Passing this issue on to it's customers.

If so, between my appliances,TVs, and phones this will be a costly experience, for myself and Samsung.

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Well I hate to say that sounds like something I've never heard happen before @rvs0002, but that's not going to be the case. It's seeming all too common at this point, and I'm not exactly sure why. Were you given a reason what sort of physical damage had been done to your phone, and why they were going back on covering it when they initially said it was under warranty?

As for the crack on yours @userUrszEDvVqZ, that would be fixed as well. While that actually is physical damage, the repair shop does on stop fixing for everything that's found on the device, not just one specific problem area. So once you contact the Support Team, they'll be able to set you up with that evaluation and repair, and they'll let you know what something like that would cost completely.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you. If a post stand out to you, perhaps you could give that post a star to show other community members they were able to assist or was relevant to you.

rvs0002
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi Marcos:

No explaination at all, but I believe it was because I let them know that I had it evaluated by the folks at best buy before sending and so had witnesses who noted it to be in perfect condition. I suspect the game plan is to try and get folks to pay first, and if pushed, perform the task for free. I'm sure most probably just pay up if told they have no other options. The older the phone, the more they charge it sounds like.

Hopefully this phone lasts for a while and then I move on to some other brand permanently (for all electronics).

snowdog
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Well,  I got my phone repaired back in Dec for the pink line defect and low and behold the pink line is back on my phone again.  Starting yesterday I did notice that updates ran at 7am.  This issue warrants a major recall on all S7 phones.  Has Samsung finally recognized this as a design flaw?  I will be sending my phone back for repair.  I knew this would happen from reading this forum.  Glad I kept all the packaging.  

MTZ
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@rvs0002 wrote:

Hi Marcos:

No explaination at all, but I believe it was because I let them know that I had it evaluated by the folks at best buy before sending and so had witnesses who noted it to be in perfect condition. I suspect the game plan is to try and get folks to pay first, and if pushed, perform the task for free. I'm sure most probably just pay up if told they have no other options. The older the phone, the more they charge it sounds like.

Hopefully this phone lasts for a while and then I move on to some other brand permanently (for all electronics).

@rvs0002

Looks to be only reasonable solution indeed

As for me, I have taken it a bit further: have actively shared my experience with friends, co-workers and business partners (What? This? Oh.. It’s never-buy-samsung-line … no it’s not just about defect: it’s about company neglecting its customers and accepting all range of unhonest practices to squeeze money and waste your time … etc… and etc)

It looks like even if you were granted me (personally) a life time free upgrade to the latest device, it would cost you less than an actual gain loss (all these product that people and some and companies will never buy from Samsung)

@SamsungMarcos

How can I mark last post by rvs0002 as a solution?