cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KKKitten
Constellation

S7 sd card corrupted after update

JUMP TO SOLUTION

We have two S7s that now have corrupted sd cards since the last update. Another family member has a S4 with the same problem. Is there any way of fixing this?

I've formatted the cards with the phones and they are still corrupt.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: S7 sd card corrupted after update

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Give this a shot; 

Settings>Apps>Click on the three dots at the top right corner>Show system Apps>Device Maintenance>Storage> Clear Cache/Data

Settings>Apps>Click on the three dots at the top right corner>Show system Apps>Phone (All 3)>Storage> Clear Cache/Data

18 REPLIES 18
Red Giant

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@KKKitten,

Format your SD card

Back up your data

1. Connect your Android device to your PC and mount it as a disk drive (i.e. mass storage mode).
  2. On your PC, open Computer or My Computer and find your SD card/removable drive
  3. In the Windows Control Panel, in Folder Options, in the view tab, make sure it is set to show hidden files/folders
  4. Select Ctrl-A to select all files and folders in this drive and then right click and select Copy
  5. Paste all of these files into a new folder you your Desktop

Format your SD card

1. Right click on your SD card drive in Computer or My Computer and select "Format..."
  2. Leave all default settings and select "Start"
  3. When the format completes, copy all of your data (previously backed up above) back on to your SD card
Perform a chkdsk
  1. Connect your Android device to your PC and mount it as a disk drive (i.e. mass storage mode).
  2. On your PC, open My Computer and take note of the drive letter that's assigned to your Android device's sd card.
  3. On your PC, click on Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt.
  4. Enter the following command: chkdsk [sd card drive letter]: /r

Acrillix - Samsung Community Valued Contributor Elite Member
Be sure to click "✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you and "This Helped Me" if it's helpful.
My Blog - Guru of the Galaxies: http://guruofthegalaxies.com/
userPqTjAKnuLL
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION
what if no pc?
user4clBA41lFM
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This does not work with my PC.  It has Windows 10 and simply does not show the phone in File Explorer when it is plugged in.

BukyOne
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So what you are saying is that  every time I restart my S7 I need to reinstall my backed up data? Every time I restart my S7 the data gets corrupted again! Sounds like a pain to me! 

userYaPbqMwhRL
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Well i hate to tell everyone but formatting your card is not necessary. All you have to do is turn your phone off and wipe the cache partition. When you reboot your phone after this process you will have all the data that was on the card back where it belongs. I just did this myself on my s7 edge because something in the update (oreo) caused my sd card to show corrupt. Turn phone off,hold volume up,home,and power keys all at dame time. When android comes on screen release power key, then other keys. Navigate down to wipe cache partition message with volume down key. Select message using power key. When next screen pops up select yes , then select reboot system on following screen. . Phone will restart and you are done.  Hope this helps. 

Johnny_Blade
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Didn't work for me.. Bummer

Still corrupt.

userL2EWIyHjTr
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This worked for me - thanks for the tip.

userS5E89zg0WJ
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

this didn't help. Still corrupted error.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Give this a shot; 

Settings>Apps>Click on the three dots at the top right corner>Show system Apps>Device Maintenance>Storage> Clear Cache/Data

Settings>Apps>Click on the three dots at the top right corner>Show system Apps>Phone (All 3)>Storage> Clear Cache/Data