JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

S9+ Restarting when not actively running app

(Topic created: 03-05-2020 07:20 AM)
user8qZwJvtTDv
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

After the February 2020 update my phone keeps on restarting or just turning off unless I am actively running an app.  I've done everything I could find online to fix it and finally tried a factory reset which also failed.  I've resorted to running my White Noise app in the background with the volume on low and that fixes the problem.  As soon as I turn the app off the phone restarts or turns off in about 1 minute.  This is extremely annoying as I use my phone for work and sometimes the white noise app will randomy turn off which then results in my phone crashing / rebooting. 

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
user8qZwJvtTDv
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

After doing some more searching I finally found the solution to this.  You have to disable the fingerprint scanner.  I have switched to facial recognition and my phone has not shut off yet.  Hope this works for you.

View solution in context

12 Replies
Stephanie Nikki
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Does this occur when the device is in safe mode?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
user8qZwJvtTDv
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Yes it does

0 Likes
Stephanie Nikki
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S Phones

May I have the model number, IMEI number and baseband version for your device via private message?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
oldfett
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

My wifes S9 (non-plus) is literally doing the exact same thing and has been driving her mad. Thank you so much for posting this as I did everything you listed, clearing cache, running in safe mode, rolling back app updates, etc. and was just about to factory reset it. Your workaround of running an app non-stop in the background also works for her and the phone is no longer restarting or shutting down when its not being actively used.

I guess to Samsung what can I provide and how so that this gets fixed ASAP as it seems like there is a firmware bug.

0 Likes
user8qZwJvtTDv
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hi,

Thank you for responding to my post.  I'm glad to hear my workaround has helped you.  Samsung hasn't been very helpful and responded to me, via private messaging, that my warranty is up and it was my responsibility to fix my phone.  Which is very frustrating as it is definitely not a hardware issue.  I've let the Samsung agent know that you are also experiencing this problem.  Hopefully they come out with an update soon. 

userrt8ZUT5iB4
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Same thing only I couldnt do anything with it but let it wear out the battery. Samsung told me to take to Ibrokeufix (which was a 90 minute drive) to do a reflash? 

They couldnt fix & I had to file a claim, pay the $100 deductible & owe $200 on the phone. I'm super upset at Samsung for dancing around this issue. No more Samsung for me!

0 Likes
user8qZwJvtTDv
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Thanks for letting me know about the reflash.  I was starting to consider it but definitely won't go that route.  This was my first Samsung phone after being with Apple for a long time.  This experience has been so disappointing for me.   I'll probably just limp on this phone until my next upgrade comes up.  

0 Likes
user6vEzw1gXPj
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I have just begun having this same issue today- about a year after your original post. My warranty has also expired. Your workaround- disabling the fingerprint scanner has also helped me. Thank you.

0 Likes
Solution
user8qZwJvtTDv
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

After doing some more searching I finally found the solution to this.  You have to disable the fingerprint scanner.  I have switched to facial recognition and my phone has not shut off yet.  Hope this works for you.