JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

S9 Update to UI 2

(Topic created: 12-27-2020 02:11 PM)
Leo03205
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Can somebody tell me all the ways that I can forced my phone to update. My mom has the same phone and her phone is more updated than mine. Can I transfer that update to my phone? Can I get from a link to the computer and transfer it to the phone?
17 Replies
ShadowArtist201
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Can you confirm your model number as SM-G960U1? You can find this in device info.
0 Likes
Leo03205
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones
It doesn't have the 1 at the end
0 Likes
ShadowArtist201
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones
In your dialer, type *#1234#. You will see three strings of numbers and letters. We're looking for CSC. It should start with G960U. We need the three letters after that. For example, on a Sprint phone it might be G960USPT.
0 Likes
Leo03205
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones
G960UOYN7CSK3
0 Likes
Solution
ShadowArtist201
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Alright, it looks like we need to update your device manually. This will take a while and I highly recommend backing up your device as it will also factory reset it. This also has a small chance of bricking your device if done incorrectly, so proceed at your own risk.

Downloads:
Frija: https://forum.xda-developers.com/attachments/frija-v1-4-3-zip.5129367/

Odin: https://odindownload.com/download/Odin3_v3.14.1.zip

Samsung Drivers: https://developer.samsung.com/mobile/file/68b2dc40-3833-4a8b-b58e-32f7aca25c00

We're going to use Frija to get the correct update file for your device. Download and extract the zip file, then open Frija.exe. It will ask for your model and CSC. In your case, we'll put SM-G960U1 (the unlocked model) and XAA (the unlocked firmware). Click "Check Update" and it will find the newest unlocked firmware. You'll need to download this. It may take a while depending on your internet connection.
frija.png

Once you have the firmware downloaded, extract the zip and you should have about 5 files. We'll use these later.

(Note: These are not the S9 files but yours should be similarly named)(Note: These are not the S9 files but yours should be similarly named)

Next we need to download the drivers that will let your computer see your phone. Go to the Samsung site I listed above and download/install them.

drivers.PNG

Alright, this next step involves your phone itself. Go into your phone info then software information. Repeatedly tap "Build number" until you see that developer mode has been enabled. Go back to your main settings menu and you should see developer options at the bottom. Choose this, and scroll until you see "USB debugging". Enable that so we can install the firmware via computer.

We're now ready to update your phone.

Make sure it's charged to at least 50% then turn your phone off. Hold the Volume Down, Bixby, and Power buttons until the entire screen turns cyan and you see a warning symbol. Let go of all buttons and press Volume Up to get into Download Mode.

You should have Odin downloaded by now. Extract the zip and open up Odin3 v3.14.1.exe. Plug your phone into your computer using a USB cable and you should see a teal indicator within Odin and a short message in the log saying the device was added.

odin.png

In order to install the firmware, we'll need to use the BL, AP, CP, and CSC buttons. Click on BL and navigate to the files we downloaded through Frija. Choose the file that starts with BL. For the other 3, do the same thing. For AP, choose the AP file. CP for CP. CSC for CSC (don't use HOME_CSC).

Once you've chosen all 4 files, hit Start. It will take a while to transfer and install the firmware, but once Odin is finished, you should see your phone restart and a green "PASS!" icon at the top of Odin.

Leo03205
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Yes!
Thank you so much for your help
ShadowArtist201
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones
If my response solved your issue, make sure to hit the "Accept as Solution" button.
0 Likes
Leo03205
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Done