JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

S9+ screen won't turn off

(Topic created on: 1/5/21 2:52 PM)
userHhZ1F24XPJ
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I had a moisture detected message a few days ago, but it went away. Once that message left, my screen began to refuse to turn OFF. If I click the side button to manually turn off the screen, it goes black for less than a second. Then it turns back on to my lockscreen. Further attempts to click the side button does the same. The lockscreen will not time out. Furthermore, despite having my screen timeout set to 15 seconds, if I leave it unlocked it will never actually time out. 

I've already checked AOD settings , the "stay on if in safe location" stuff, Screen time out settings, restarting the phone, optimizing/force closing/clearing caches on apps. I've even gone into developer settings to see what's running and disabled those. Also done hard reboots/safe mode.

EDIT: I've noticed that now if the phone is plugged in the screen will turn off. This is counterintuitive from what you would expect. If it's plugged in and charging screem DOES turn off. 

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
SamsungCole
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I'd honestly recommend having it evaluated by a technician. You are welcome to visit your local uBreakiFix location for walk-in repair options: https://www.ubreakifix.com/locations

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in context

0 Likes
4 Replies
SamsungCole
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S Phones

What happened when you loaded the phone into safe mode?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
userHhZ1F24XPJ
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

The problem persisted while in safe mode 

0 Likes
Solution
SamsungCole
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I'd honestly recommend having it evaluated by a technician. You are welcome to visit your local uBreakiFix location for walk-in repair options: https://www.ubreakifix.com/locations

View solution in context

0 Likes
userZO8mqiiiyz
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I'm having this exact issue.  Intermittent moisture detection warnings (which make it so that the phone cannot charge), screen won't turn off at all, battery draining in a matter of minutes sometimes.  I've tried everything, even factory reset, but nothing works.

I was very happy with my phone until this started happening, and it started when my phone was around 2 years old.  Shady, and I will not be buying Samsung again.

0 Likes