cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
plapo88
Asteroid

SD Card Glitch

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello! I have a Galaxy S7 phone and I've been using a PNY 128GB microSD card with it to store photos. Sometimes when I try to take pictures, the camera app will glitch and force close and immediatley following, my SD card isn't recognized anymore. In the past this has been fixed by simply restarting the phone or removing and reinserting the SD card, but the most recent incident was different. My SD card is still recognized, but only has 8 images on it, 3 of which are "unable to load."  I was wondering if there was an explanation for this behavior and if it's possible that all my other pictures and videos were not deleted. Thanks

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Honored Contributor

Re: SD Card Glitch

JUMP TO SOLUTION

That entirely depends on what happened with this current SD card. Even if corrupted, there's a chance you could just reformat it. There's tons of reasons it could have gotten corrupted, but it's really hard to pin point that down even if that's the case. I would say as far as prevention for corruption...make sure you know what you're saving to it. If it's just images, maybe offload those pictures every once and awhile so it doesn't stay too full and chance that.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you. If a post stand out to you, perhaps you could give that post a star to show other community members they were able to assist or was relevant to you.

9 REPLIES 9
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

If at all able to, you should try to get that SD card plugged in with your computer to see if that's not the case. Would hate to know that you lost all those photos. Check to see if your computer is able to read the device without any sort of corruption, and if so, I would immediately back up those images just to be safe.

There's a strong chance something on the SD Card did get corrupted, but normally it lets you know immediately.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you. If a post stand out to you, perhaps you could give that post a star to show other community members they were able to assist or was relevant to you.

plapo88
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Would you recommend getting a new SD card for the future? Any suggestions to prevent a repeat of this issue?

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

That entirely depends on what happened with this current SD card. Even if corrupted, there's a chance you could just reformat it. There's tons of reasons it could have gotten corrupted, but it's really hard to pin point that down even if that's the case. I would say as far as prevention for corruption...make sure you know what you're saving to it. If it's just images, maybe offload those pictures every once and awhile so it doesn't stay too full and chance that.

plapo88
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So I tried to back up the files to my computer, when I put the card in the reader I received a "Scan and repair" prompt, which I agreed to. I can see the files in the folder, and open them from that window but if I try to transfer them to my computer or my external hard drive it says it can't locate the file. I'm not sure what more can be done

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

That's so weird. I wonder where the file path is being directed to since it's saying it can't locate it. If that immediate scan and repair option popped up, this definitely sounds like it may have been corrupted. It's a bit hard to say since it's a lot easier to troubleshoot something like this in person, but if it's able to open the file, if inserted back into your phone are you still able to view them? If so, is there a way you can export them somehow that way since a physical transfer doesn't want to work? Try e-mailing one of the photos to yourself and see if that works, or uploading it to dropbox or some other cloud based storage.

plapo88
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I've successfully transferred all the files from the SD card to my desktop, but now I can't put them on the external hard drive. I'll probably just get a flash drive to back them up on for now, figure out what's wrong later. Thanks for your help!

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You're very welcome! Good luck with getting them backed up. I'm always around should you have other questions about anything.

Tom n
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I tried reformatting and different cards.  All would work briefly then the problem happened again.

I finally have recognized almost every time I restart the phone the SD card is not recognized: After restart I open the Samsung App "My Files" and the SD card is shown as 'not inserted'.

The workaround that creates recognition every time:
Go to Settings...Lock screen and security...Encrypt SD card...ENCRYPT.

It is not necessary for the process to end; give it a few minutes then open Samsung app "My Files" and it's size and available space is listed correctly. Now all apps work correctly.

Tom n
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Similar problem on my S7 - every time I restart the phone the SD card is not recognized.
After restart I open the Samsung App "My Files" and the SD card is shown as 'not inserted'.

The workaround that creates recognition every time:
Go to Settings...Lock screen and security...Encrypt SD card...ENCRYPT.

It is not necessary for the process to end; give it a few minutes then open Samsung app "My Files" and it's size and available space is listed correctly. Now all apps work correctly.