JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

SM-G950U1 (Samsung S8) not compatible with VoLTE . My phone stops working in 4 months

(Topic created: 10-29-2021 02:18 PM)
userLbebMkB9BA
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Samsung could send out a update so that this phone could work with VoLTE but they won't. I will leave it up to you guys to figure out why they won't. I am currently with Cricket wireless. When I first started with them I made the mistake of buying a carrier based phone from them. I got 2 software updates from them and they stopped. My wife had the same phone accept it was unlocked (not carrier based) she received something like 5 software updates because they came directly from Samsung. So when we both bought S8 phones I insisted that they be unlocked so that we would always get the updates from Samsung and not depend on Cricket wireless. So long story short my phone will stop getting calls in 4 months because of Samsung greed. If anyone know of a workaround I am all ears. Maybe a custom ROM from a Rooted phone?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
JustDewIt
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Ask Cricket to re-Provision your IMEI to a more recent model phone. It may allow you to use VoLTE

View solution in context

0 Likes
6 Replies
titankin
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Why did it happen
0 Likes
Solution
JustDewIt
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Ask Cricket to re-Provision your IMEI to a more recent model phone. It may allow you to use VoLTE

View solution in context

0 Likes
userLbebMkB9BA
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Ok I will try that. My head has been spinning the last couple of days and Samsung support has been no help.  Thanks

0 Likes
JustDewIt
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Or hack it and change your IMEI. But they should be able to provision a different IMEI on their end and usually have extra IMEIs to work with. Ask to speak to a supervisor about it
0 Likes
Calder-Cay
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Wasn't the last security update back in May?

If yes, prob time to retire the phone
0 Likes
userLbebMkB9BA
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

My last Security update was on August 27, 2021. The phone is 4 years old. You see I buy used phones from companies like Swappa that are about 2 years old and I pay about 1/2 the price of a new phone. I keep the phone stock for another 2-3 years and when the phone starts to show it's age and or stops getting updates I root the phone and install a custom ROM. That gives me another 3 years of use. So I get a nice phone for about 5-6 years for about 1/2 the price of the original new phone. This assumes that something catastrophic doesn't happens to the phone, but I am good with electronics and can repair anything on a cell phone. Used and new parts are widely available for most phones accept Apple products that I stay away from. I only buy phones that are more easily repairable. Also the design of the main board is import so that I can just replace a daughter board and not have to do tiny solder repairs. It's much easier to just replace a charging port with a ribbon cable attached to the main board than to try and solder the small parts. But in this case my phone will be dead in Feb 2022 and no amount of repairs or rooting and custom ROM's will do any thing to fix it. After Feb the phone gets sold for parts on Ebay. Cricket wireless carrier based phones will still work and I can sell the phone to someone looking to fix a Cricket phone.