cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nidwow
Cosmic Ray

Samart Switch closes after entering Model name and S/N

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am trying to get my AT&T unlocked S6 for an oversea traveling.   

At any rate when I was trying to use device initialization and after I entered the model name (SM-G920A) and S/N then clicked "OK" the smart switch just closed down.

Same problem Smart Switch closes down on both desktop and laptop.  Just for the fun of it, I tried entering my S8 model name and S/N, same problem - it also closes down.

Any idea?

Thanks..

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Honored Contributor

Re: Samart Switch closes after entering Model name and S/N

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yeah, initialization. Can't be done on those models, I'm sorry! Smiley Sad

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you. If a post stand out to you, perhaps you could give that post a star to show other community members they were able to assist or was relevant to you.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

That's weird...when was Smart Switch downloaded to your computer, and has it updated recently? Just curious if perhaps something got lost behind from a missing update, and now it's acting up. Have you tried uninstalling it from your computer completely, then reinstalling it altogether?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you. If a post stand out to you, perhaps you could give that post a star to show other community members they were able to assist or was relevant to you.

Nidwow
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yes, I did clean uninstalled it 2-3 times on each computer.  I will be on the road today but when I get back I will install it again on a different computer which has never had Smart Switch installed before and see.

userCQCJirzOzH
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Nidwow wrote:

Yes, I did clean uninstalled it 2-3 times on each computer.  I will be on the road today but when I get back I will install it again on a different computer which has never had Smart Switch installed before and see.

Nidwow
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungMarcos

Nope, same problem on the new fresh computer.  Downloaded fresh installation program from Samsung site. Smart Switch just shut down after model name > search > S/N, there were no error to speak off - Smart Switch just closed down.

For fun, I altered the last digi of the S/N - now I do have an error.  Something like "Unable to find S/N, model name or IMEI on the server"

If it would make any different, the phone is an AT&T unlocked Galaxy S6 and the computers are running Windows 10 all updated.

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I don't know if our tech guy is running Windows 10, but everything else can be recreated. When he comes in tomorrow I'm going to show this to him, and see if he can get it to happen or not. 

Nidwow
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungMarcos

While waiting for your "tech guy" to get back.   I dug up an old Windows XP Laptop, downloaded "Smart_Switch_PC_setup.exe"  from smart switch support site.

Trying to install it I got an error:

C:\downloads\Smart_Switch_PC_setup.exe

This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect.  Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

It won't even let me to install it to begin with.

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Let me get which S/N you're using. Feel free to PM it to me if you don't want it floating around here in the public eye.

Nidwow
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungMarcos

Okay, will do.

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Was able to confirm for you @Nidwow that the initialization can't even be done for that device. We did get it to auto close on us though, after we put in that model information. As far as unlocking goes though, did you talk with AT&T about that specifically?