cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
TR4NQU1L1TY
Asteroid

Samsung Galaxy S7 Active: Issues with Recent Android 8.0 Update (Oreo)

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I received the latest update for my Active S7 as of June 24, 2018. It was the Android 8.0 update, also known as the Oreo update. 

I'm fine with the new aesthetic. I have seen it on the phones of my family and friends, who have later phone models, such as the S8.

However, with the Oreo update on my Samsung Galaxy S7 Active, strange issues have been occurring. And they are not minor, either. 

It seems that Samsung's internal Video Player has become dysfunctional. Upon attempting to watch a video via Gallery, I am met with a message stating "File not found." Through My Files, upon pressing a video, the application proceeds to crash. 

Perhaps not so direct, but Google Photos has also been crashing frequently, even when not accessing it. Samsung's Video app from Galaxy Apps is also failing to work. 

As a result, without any third-party applications, videos are absolutely unplayable from my phone. 

Other than this significant video complication, Device Maintanance crashes upon accessing its Storage option... I do not know if this relates to the issue at hand. There may be more problems that I am not aware of that have came with this update. 

Issues like these do not seem to be the case on other Samsung phones. 

To clarify, I am running on Android 8.0.0, with Samsung Experience 9.0.

I have attempted to Reset App Preferences, perform a forced shutdown, investigate with Safe Mode, and Wipe Cache Partition. I performed all without any success whatsoever. 

I am not comfortable in performing a factory reset, although it is my last resort. 

There seems to be no way to reverse the update. 

Any help is appreciated. If you require more information on the problem, I am willing to provide it. Thank you. 

EDIT:

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S-Phones/S7-active-Oreo-update-crashes-My-Files-Photos-Vi...

Another thread was previously posted, affirming issues with the Oreo update on S7 Actives. It seems to be more problematic, as I can still access My Files and Gallery without an immediate crash. This is a significant problem. Please do not ignore this. 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Earlj3
Asteroid

Re: Samsung Galaxy S7 Active: Issues with Recent Android 8.0 Update (Oreo)

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Unwilling to do a factory reset, I fixed my issues by going into Settings-Show System Apps- then went to Media Storage and simply cleared the cache and data files. Even though I had wiped the system cache earlier in the troubleshooting. I can now access all photos and videos, no more crashes of device maintenance, Photos, or OneDrive and my pictures are backing up properly now. Hope this can help  you or anyone considering a factory reset....

164 REPLIES 164
Paolo Ciccardi
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I updated my S7 Active to android 8.0 Oreo on June 24 and I have the same issues described by TR4NQU1L1TY.

Moreover, If I try to send any type of attachment with WhatsApp, the app crashes.

These are not minor issues. I am also not confortable with the factory reset. I believe it will downgrade the phone to android 6.0 so I am not sure if I will be able to install 7.1 (that worked perfectly on my smartphone so far).

Is someone aware of any patch that can solve the issues?

userdoLRNMCwtG
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am having the same problems with my S7 Active.

-Crashing Photos App. 20-30 times/day

-sluggish

-cannot send video "file not supported"

Last update was awful too for the S7 Active.

I have been with Samsung for a long time and this has been the absolute worst. 

PLEASE SAVE THE ACTIVE PROBLEMS!!!!!

MTHJ

userkiaBDZKxlu
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have the same problems, and I went to setting and my s7 doesnt have the "Show system apps " what do I do now?

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userkiaBDZKxlu; May I have the full model code, baseband, and carrier information of your device, please?

faraband
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi there! 

I have been having ongoing issues as discussed in the thread. I have done a factory reset, and avoided installing any apps other than the default and WhatsApp for 2 weeks, but issues persisted. Photos, Maps, Texting, Phone dial pad, battery drain.. 

Any suggestions? 

Thanks. 

user50dTXQ0QY8
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi!

Recently after the update, my Galaxy S7 has been randomly freezing and rebooting. I have tried putting the phone in safe mode but the problem still persists. I've also tried clearing cache and factory resetting but with no luck. I've even got the battery changed but nothing! Still freezes randomly and reboots. Sometimes I'll be able to use it for an hour or two. But many times, just unlocking the phone, it'll freeze and reboot itself. 

Is this a software problem or a motherboard problem? 

P.S. I have not dropped the phone before this problem occurred and I have had this phone for 2.5 years. 

thanks! 

userDLhCIkj9ql
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey, I'm having the same problem. Did you find a fix?

userChJoRHaVWT
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userkiaBDZKxlu Settings>>Apps>>tap on 3 dots in upper right corner>>Show system apps>>scroll down to Media Storage and tap ob it>>tap on Memor

TR4NQU1L1TY
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you, @Paolo Ciccardi and @userdoLRNMCwtG, for providing further confirmation on the issue.

It is quite unfortunate that you are unable to even send file attachments via your application... This only emphasizes the dysfunctionality of the Oreo update on S7 Actives.

As for patches, I came up with a workaround for accessing videos. I have used a third-party video player, and it seems to work without an issue. For those curious, I am using VLC for Android, but I am sure you can find other things through the Google Play Store.

Another update on my case, I have attempted to solve my issue with Google Photos through reinstallation. However, it only worsened the problem, as it now crashes upon opening the app. It seems to crash when it attempts to back up media files...

Again, thank you for your contributions.