cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Samsung Galaxy S7 Active: Issues with Recent Android 8.0 Update (Oreo)

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Does this occur with the device in safe mode?

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I've also had issues with Samsung S7 software updates this past month....it started after the last update and I kept getting "Custom Binary Blocked by FTP Lock" error message in top left corner.  I'd wait a while (like 10 minutes or more) and try to turn the phone on again, and it worked fine (for a little while).  Now it won't even turn on!  And when I turned it on this morning, it said it was doing a "custom download OS". Now it's been stuck on this screen: 

ODIN MODE

Download Speed: FAST 

Product Name - SM-G930W8 

Current Binary - Samsung Official 

System Status - Official 

FRP Lock: ON 

Secure download: Enabled

Warranty Void: 0 

PP SWREV: B:5 K:2 S:3

DOWNLOADING ... (Do not turn off target) 

It's been like this for about 45 minutes already and nothing is happening.  What should I do?? 

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am having the same issues. I could not even transfer the files via usb, they would just show up as 0 byte files on my PC as well.  So I removed the SD card and plugged it directly into my laptop and was able to successfully transfer the photos and videos.  I can shoot photos and video but playback of videos is extremely unreliable and usually crashes.   I kept getting messages popping up all day long that "Photos had stopped working".  I finally uninstalled it and reverted back to the factory app and then disabled it.     Overall my phone performance has dropped significantly.  Even when I type into a text message there is a half second delay from when I press a letter and when it appears on screen.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Me too nothing works

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Since updating to 8.0 on my S7 the app icons that I put on the home screan reset to some default every time the phone restarts. All the folders I have created on the apps page also dissapear and apps default to a list. It seems like there should be a simple setting to fix this, but I have searched forums and help for an hour and didn't find a solution. 

My problems are not as bad as the photo/video problems or the 10 system crashes in an hour that others have had, but it's enough to make me hate my phone and want to ditch Samsung. 

More general problems I have had:

- Apps crashing (for example, Device Maintenance crashes every time I click "about") 

- Rapid battery drain  

- Lagging 

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I agree. An update that was not well tested now a lot of apps including Google Photo keeps crashing. I'm seriously considering an iPhone at this point. My daughter never has issues.

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same problems here. Absolutely frustrating as I mainly use my phone for pictures and videos. I can not even share an image which defeats its purpose for my work life. PLEASE fix. 

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This is infuriating...... all same problems with video and pics and file transfers....

Anychance of a roleback samsung?

Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have done the factory reset and now EVERYTHING works as before. Android 8.0 is installed. No more app crashes. I can transfer the files to my PC with no issues. I recommend everyone doing the same.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I sincerely appreciate everyone's feedback on the problematic issue we have all been experiencing with the smartphone we share. 

Interestingly enough, the post has yet to be formally addressed by a Samsung moderator... Perhaps they are hard at work investigating a proper fix. 

But, @Paolo Ciccardi, you may already have found a solution. I will try to back up everything I can via your SD card workaround, as I am lucky enough to have already possessed one. It will take me some time to perform such a task, as I must acquire an Android of a friend or relative, but once I go through the procedure, I will report on the results. 

Please, if anyone else is willing to go through the factory reset to observe its effects, everyone on this post will be glad of your efforts. 

---

Though the issue may have been solved with a mere factory reset, I am still quite surprised at all of the trouble the Oreo update has caused towards the S7 Active.  What went wrong, I wonder...?

Thank you all for your contributions.