cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
userDwvP3TGRaD
Constellation

Samsung Galaxy S7 Battery draining super fast.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello,

I have owned my S7 for about exactly a year now and overall it's been a pretty good experience until recently the battery life performance started to decrease dramatically. I was so impressed on how long my battery life was, but now I can barely get by 4-5 hours without charging. I used to be able to last a whole day before with the same amount of usage. I unplug my phone at around 7:30 AM. I then take the bus to school and arrive at around 8:05.  At that point, my battery is already at like 70-80%. When the only thing I have been doing is listening to music and replying to some snapchats. I then leave my phone alone until around 9:15 AM. At that point, my phone is around 60-65%. I then listen to some music as I walk to class. I then leave my phone alone for around another hour and use it again at around 10:10AM. At this point, I am already at around 50-60%. I normally use my phone threw out the next hour and by around 11:00AM my phone is already on 20-35%. I then charge up my phone for an hour all the way back to 100%. I then continue to casually use my phone threw out the next few hours until around 3:00 PM and my phone is around 50%.  When I get home I end up charging my phone to use during the evening.  But at around 7:00 PM, I am finding myself charging for a 3rd time in the day.  

Does this seem normal for the S7? It was not like this before and like I said, I use to be able to get threw the whole day without charging it at all. 

I'll add some screenshots of my battery usage below.

Thanks for any help in advance!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Samsung Galaxy S7 Battery draining super fast.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello everyone, 

If the following steps do not resolve the battery drain issue on your device, it will require service. 

Run the device in Safe Mode, if this resolves the battery drain issue, it is a third party app causing it. Uninstall high battery usage apps until the issue no longer occurs.  

If this does not resolve the issue, check for any available updates by going to Settings>Software Update and also update all apps in the Google Play Store. 

-Go to Settings>About Phone>Software Version and check the current baseband version and compare it to the GS7 page of your carrier's website and make sure that the baseband versions match up. 

-If they do not match up, reach out to your carrier so that they can push out an OTA update to your device.

If everything is up to date and the issue persists, the next step is to back everything up and perform a factory reset. 

If the issue occurs after the factory reset, we recommend taking the phone to a local uBreakiFix or Best Buy with a Samsung Experience shop and ask for a software re-flash.  

If the issue occurs after this, it is hardware related and will require service. You can locate a uBreakiFix or reach out to us via private message to set up service.

215 REPLIES 215
Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Your S7 should be able to get a longer batter life than just a hand full of hours. Let's go over some things:

• Make sure all of your software and apps are up to date
  • Make sure you are using the original Samsung charging accessories for the phone (third party ones may not provide the proper charge your phone needs)
  • Disable any/all network features while they are not in use (WiFi/Bluetooth/GPS/NFC) - they contribute to rapid battery drain
  • Utilize your Auto Brightness feature on the phone to safe on battery life
  • Close out all of your apps when you are not using them - if they're constantly running in the background, you're expected to experience a lower battery life

Do you follow these best practices? If so, are there any additional things you have tried?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userCFavIGiHX4
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Many apps run in the background because it's faster for the system to load from the cache than from scratch.  This how android is designed to run. Many of those cleaner apps are useless and actually slow ur phone down.

HollyLouise
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Who is the "he" you're referring to? What does "on the turn" mean, and who is "on" it?

userBBYPPMUsuG
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am very annoyed with Samsung

I had S6 but I did an early upgrade to an S7 because id read that S7 had one of the best batteries around wheteas the S6 was poor.

When I got the new phone about 3 months ago I was very pleased.The battery lastedall day and never required a charge till 8pm. This went on until about 10 days ago.Ive changed nothing since then but it only lasts 5 or six hours at the most. My usage hasn't changed  so why is the battery failing.

It seems to me that Samsung is ignoring all the complaints.Ok if the batteries aren't very good or Samsung technology is inefficient sell the phones as an inferior product at a low price but they are expensive phones but it seems they are not fit for use. If I can't fix this no more Samsung products and this is my 4th Samsung mobile!

useroCXYiQHM5o
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have done all these things you have suggestioned and I charge 3 times at least pr day. Did not have this problem prior to the last updates. This will be my first and last Galaxy phone. My phone can can sit here with all apps closed and watch the battery drain. Will never recommend Galaxy to anyone.

usert01iTpx9lp
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have this issue too. though I also have my S3 watch connected to the phone via bluetooth. 

if this is going to drain the battery this fast whats the point on having all of these brilliant products and no time to use them!

please advise. 

thanks from a trying to be faithful to samsung user. 

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'd just like to know why Gear VR Services is killing my S7 battery? From the last time it was charged to 100%, Gear VR used 20% of the 34% already used. The phone is at 66% and 20% of that went to something I don't use and can't disable. 

Why does it constantly run? I'm to the point that I'm ready to root this phone so I can kill the things that are killing my battery since Samsung won't let us and apparently isn't going to attempt to fix it until the next OS update. And that's only me hoping they do.

There has to be a better way. Samsung? Any suggestions? 

Thanks. 

Red Giant

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Good afternoon @ThisIsMyUsername

I am aware that you can't disable those applications, but have you tried to clear the cache and data on them? You can do that by going to Settings>Apps>Gear VR Services, then tapping Storage. The option to clear the cache and data for that application should be there.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Found a way to disable everything killing my battery.

It's called Package Disabler Pro.

Killed everything that was killing my battery in addition to all of the extra bloatware on my phone.

In 5 hours, I lost 20% battery. Before, I would lose 20% in less than an hour. Why won't Samsung or Android developers or whoever fix this? It's obviously a problem. A 30 second Google search confirms that fact. That's how I found out what was killing my phone. It's killing everyone's. And they just let it kill people's phones. My sister had her S9 warranties over this issue.

Guess what? The new phone still kills 20% battery or more in less than an hour and must be fully charged multiple times per day.

This is ridiculous. Probably the last Samsung I buy until this crud is fixed. And that's all I've ever owned. Have 5 Samsung phones and 7 tablets.