cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Samsung! You are so close to having all the camera settings we need!

I had just updated my galaxy s9+ and realized there's a new camera option called "pro video", like pro camera this mode allows for altering the iso, shutter speed, focus, etc. However the singular setting that would make this a complete mode is the ability to enable and disable optical image stabilization. Now I know, the craze these days is for all cameras to have OIS on all the time to stabilize that shaky hand when taking photos. Video however comes with a few drawbacks when using OIS, that being edge warping and other artifacts. One example that effects me the most is the effect camera OIS warp has on 3d VFX. In the situation where I want to camera track a scene and import objects and or create a VFX shot. This OIS warping throws off the tracker and ruins the entire solve. Rendering this camera useless for that purpose. Another example is if you use a gimbal, this phone will not give you the results you are looking for if you want super stable video with a gimbal. A video referencing the same problem on iPhones https://youtu.be/YiLTjM-Mm3w solves the problem using a magnet. This solution doesn't help the Samsung though, as magnets are also used to control focusing and the entire video becomes blurry when a magnet is near. So what can we do, we'll we just can't use it I guess. Unfortunately I believe that the OIS functionality is a hardware integrated process and may not be able to be stopped in software. But the Samsung engineers are the only ones who can say. If the rest of the camera can be controlled how much different could this be. Who knows, this is my request for a new feature that would revalidate my phone as a fully featured and capable camera for all my needs. Thanks in advance. 

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Samsung! You are so close to having all the camera settings we need!

Thank you for your interest in sharing your ideas with Samsung. We appreciate your feedback and will tag it on the forum so that it will appear with other feedback, ideas, and requests. This will allow your post to be more easily found in the event that Samsung products groups are seeking outside feedback/requests/ideas regarding our products.