cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andrewleif
Constellation

Galaxy S7 main microphone only picks up static.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Anytime I make a call the other end can only hear a bit of static and the calls only work on headset or speaker phone. Same thing with any recording. It's just loud static noise that it picks up.

It has happened once before but it was gone the next day. This time it has stayed for a few days already. I have tried clearing the cache, rebooting in safe mode, but I really want to avoid a factory reset if it can be fixed another way. 

And no, my finger isn't covering it, my case doesn't block it, and I don't hold it under water.

What could be the problem? Is it a bug or something else? Does it just get dirty more easily than every other phone?

SamsungAsh
Galaxy

Re: Galaxy S7 main microphone only picks up static.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey there, andrewleif. 

It's wonderful to see you here in our community and seeking answers from your fellow peers. 

In order for the community to better assist you, I suggest you give us a few more details.

Here are a few questions to help:

What is your device's Baseband and carrier?

Has your device had any physical or liquid damage?

Do you have a call recorder application downloaded?

Please include anything else you might think would benefit the community to know. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

andrewleif
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungAsh wrote:

Hey there, andrewleif. 

It's wonderful to see you here in our community and seeking answers from your fellow peers. 

In order for the community to better assist you, I suggest you give us a few more details.

Here are a few questions to help:

What is your device's Baseband and carrier?

Has your device had any physical or liquid damage?

Do you have a call recorder application downloaded?

Please include anything else you might think would benefit the community to know. 

I have an unlocked verizon phone on a monthly plan with straighttalk.

My phone hasn't received any damage. I have a solid case protecting the edges, back, and screen quite well. Other than the occasional unavoidable water splatter or rain drops I make sure it stays dry. 

I have a recording app I downloaded after the mic stopped working. That's what people hear and that's what my mic pics up unless I use speakerphone.

Other than that I'm not sure what other info I could give. If you watched Stranger Things it reminds me a bit of the upside down to give you an idea of the static it's picking up. It's not just the white noise sound.

Neutron Star

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Did you try making a call when your phone was in Safe mode? Was the problem still there in safe mode?

Superman on Galaxy S7 SM-G930T, T-Mobile, Baseband:G930TUVY3APIA
To OP: click "✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

andrewleif
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yes, I tried calling and recording in safe mode and still the same result. 

I've cleared the cache, too. I also tried cleaning out the mic hole but no difference. 

I'm hoping to avoid a factory reset but it's looking like I might have to try that

Highlighted
lolftw
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm having the same issue.

It happens during the day but its not constant. Sometimes the earpice and the loudspeaker sound distorted sometimes they are just fine. I can't pin point exactly whats triggering this behaviour. 

I did a factory reset and it solved the problem for a day or so, and then this came right back.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Ok, I solved my problem.

This might sound really stupid, but trust me, it was the issue for me. I had a protective screen film on the back of my phone (I had one spare, so I used it on the back). For some odd reason it creates some sort of static or malfuction with the antenas or the eletrical components. I don't know, I'm not an engineer, but the second I removed it the issue was gone. Same second, never came back since.

I noticed the distortion on the earpiece had different intensities based on where I was grabbing the phone, specially on the back. Thats when I decided to remove the protective film all together and BAM, solved. So if you have any case, or protection or anything, remove everything and see if the issue still stands.

Good luck.

Chrisktlde
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@lolftw wrote:

I'm having the same issue.

It happens during the day but its not constant. Sometimes the earpice and the loudspeaker sound distorted sometimes they are just fine. I can't pin point exactly whats triggering this behaviour. 

I did a factory reset and it solved the problem for a day or so, and then this came right back.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Ok, I solved my problem.

This might sound really stupid, but trust me, it was the issue for me. I had a protective screen film on the back of my phone (I had one spare, so I used it on the back). For some odd reason it creates some sort of static or malfuction with the antenas or the eletrical components. I don't know, I'm not an engineer, but the second I removed it the issue was gone. Same second, never came back since.

I noticed the distortion on the earpiece had different intensities based on where I was grabbing the phone, specially on the back. Thats when I decided to remove the protective film all together and BAM, solved. So if you have any case, or protection or anything, remove everything and see if the issue still stands.

Good luck.

I also had a spare screen protector that I stuck to the back, after removing it all the distortion instantly is gone.

I use skinomi screen protectors, I have one on the front of course, but it was the back one that was causing the problem. I also use a evutec case and no problems there. 👍

MaxUtopia
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This solved my problem. I thought is silly also, tried anyway and  I have now a perfect sound. Samsung should put a notice someplace, this is an easy fix. Thanks for the one who figure out!

4myshasta
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Of all the people that have said that their problem(s) has/have been solved, can you update?
I am on my THIRD Samsung S7 and was told by the sales people that they have never had a person come into the store with static problems.
(This was 2 stores~Sprint and US Cellular.)
How can I possibly, in 3 short months, have 3 phones with static?
(Don't even ASK why I had 3 different phones in 3 months.)  Smiley Sad

Time to play the lottery!!

userZEknxH5INA
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Maybe a bad microphone