JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung pay rewards gift cards gone?

(Topic created on: 8/4/18 6:07 AM)
usertzjHckJ3hl
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Went to purchase some gift cards this morning and that option is completely gone? I've purchased many in the past, but now the entire gift card section is gone? Please tell me your not taking that option away? 

Galaxy S8

JUMP TO SOLUTION
234 Replies
user0L78OkmSSv
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

"This tells me that you think the only use of Samsung Pay is to get free gift cards."

Very flawed conclusion, you may want to reread.  Of the REWARDS options it was the only useful option for some...i include myself in that group.  The rewards program is no longer of any real use for me. So while i will continue to use samsung pay  i dont use it as much.  Where before i would try to use it regardless of convience i now use whatever method is most convenient...as samsung can attest my use has plummeted...barely hitting silver most months where for about 18 months straight i was constant platinum 

Ugly Girl Dance
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@user0L78OkmSSv wrote:

"This tells me that you think the only use of Samsung Pay is to get free gift cards."

Very flawed conclusion, you may want to reread.  Of the REWARDS options it was the only useful option for some...i include myself in that group.  The rewards program is no longer of any real use for me. So while i will continue to use samsung pay  i dont use it as much.  Where before i would try to use it regardless of convience i now use whatever method is most convenient...as samsung can attest my use has plummeted...barely hitting silver most months where for about 18 months straight i was constant platinum 

So you were going out of your way to use Samsung Pay just for the gift cards, then. So you actually confirmed my conclusion: there are times when you and others would use Samsung Pay, but not for any reason other than to get free gift cards. This is exactly what Samsung did not want. It was designed as an incentive to use Samsung Pay, not as a way for existing Samsung Pay users to earn money

And certainly not as a way for Samsung Pay to pay you for using their service, which is the best in the market. 

Your usage has not gone down. It simply went to the level it would be if Samsung didn't pay you to use it more. This does not hurt Samsung at all. It saves the company money.

To be clear, my usage has gone down as well. I am just saying it's a little ridiculous to fault the company for not continuing to give you free gift cards for using its software, when that software is already better than the competition.

For example, Bing rewards pays users to search in a very similar way. But it has to do that because Google is simply the better search provider. If Bing ever became better than Google, there would be no need for this incentive. The incentive would already be that it's the better software. 

Samsung makes a lot of crappy software, but Samsung Pay is not one of them. They don't need to pay anyone to get them to use it. 

0 Likes
userlQgmwHeN9A
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Don't defend Samsung for this. This is so wrong on their part. The gift cards are gone and that stinks. But they still offer sSamsung rewards from sSamsung .com but if you read the fine print, they stink as well. The highest reward offered is $25 and you can't combine rewards. I 5000 pts that expire at the end of the month. If i get the Samsung.com reward, that expires at the end of the month as well. This was a really dishonest thing they did. You know, I used to smoke, and I saved all the Marlboro points and got a lot of Marlboro gear. While the rewards did diminish over the years, at least Marlboro announced the end of the program and gave people a deadline to get their points cashed in.
Ugly Girl Dance
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@userlQgmwHeN9A wrote:
Don't defend Samsung for this. This is so wrong on their part. The gift cards are gone and that stinks. But they still offer sSamsung rewards from sSamsung .com but if you read the fine print, they stink as well. The highest reward offered is $25 and you can't combine rewards. I 5000 pts that expire at the end of the month. If i get the Samsung.com reward, that expires at the end of the month as well. This was a really dishonest thing they did. You know, I used to smoke, and I saved all the Marlboro points and got a lot of Marlboro gear. While the rewards did diminish over the years, at least Marlboro announced the end of the program and gave people a deadline to get their points cashed in.

I'm not defending Samsung because it didn't do anything wrong. The terms of the agreement say they could modify the terms at any moment without notice. 

Marlboro sells. Its rewards program was to keep you buying instead of buying it from someone else. Samsung Pay is actually useful so they don't have to pay you. 

I can't believe you would bring up Marlboro as an example of a good company. How about the notice they DIDN'T give people when they knew their products caused cancer? 

0 Likes
userzX3Ps00u0d
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Not that anyone including Samsung cares, but I had been contemplating the Note 9 or the iPhone XS Max for months....I kept going back and forth and always decided on the Note 9 because of the benefits of Samsung Pay rewards.

Now I stumble on this thread while trying to explain to my wife the benefits of Samsung Pay. 

Guess I can go with iPhone and she'll stick with her debit card.

Ugly Girl Dance
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@userzX3Ps00u0d wrote:

Not that anyone including Samsung cares, but I had been contemplating the Note 9 or the iPhone XS Max for months....I kept going back and forth and always decided on the Note 9 because of the benefits of Samsung Pay rewards.

Now I stumble on this thread while trying to explain to my wife the benefits of Samsung Pay. 

Guess I can go with iPhone and she'll stick with her debit card.

Really, you couldn't decide on which $1000 phone to get and decided on Samsung because you might earn a few dollars from Samsung rewards? And then because Samsung no longer gives out this charity, you're going to get the iPhone, when Apple Pay has never offered rewards and never will, and is not accepted everywhere like Samsung Pay is?

Be my guest and good riddance. You admit that you only wanted to use samsung pay to get free gift cards, which is literally the reason why they are ending it. They don't need you to use samsung pay badly enough that they are willing to pay you. It's already the best payment method available. 

It's like if someone was giving you gifts every time you went to visit their house and then one day they said they were spending too much money on gifts so they won't do that anymore. Then you call them and say well you won't be visiting them anymore then because all you wanted was the gifts... Well they don't want people to visit them if all they want is free gifts. 

Samsung pay is awesome and patented so no other payment method will be able to beat it. They don't need to pay greedy peasants to use their superior technology. 

Aren't you a little ashamed to say you're going to drop that much money on a premium phone but your decision is based on the possibility of earning a few dollars in gift cards? 

0 Likes
usercnVghtkELn
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Your analogy might work if your friend who gave you 'gifts' had a net worth of $300 Billion dollars. Samsung is a billion dollar company that gets money every time you use Samsung pay. Their gift cards they used to give out were no different than the points/dollars given by hundreds of credit cards out there. All these companies reap billions in profits despite the 'gifts' they give in return.  Samsung pay may be the better of the major pay systems out there but it's still rejected regularly at random places when I try to use it. So I always have to have a credit card backup everywhere I go. The bigger question that has been asked by folks here is exactly that. If I have to carry a credit card anyway, and the credit card is easier to use than Samsung pay, why bother with Samsung pay? Having to turn NFC on, swipe the app, selecting the credit card, entering a pin because iris and fingerprint scans aren't working, activating Samsung pay, hoping it works, while everyone is annoyingly waiting for me to complete the transaction... How is that convenient? Not to mention it gets old arguing with people who fight me when I try to use my phone on their systems when they're convinced it won't work. How about I spend the 3 seconds to pull out my normal credit card and make everyone happy? I'm actually secretly relieved Samsung changed their system so that there are no valuable rewards anymore. Now I can just use my credit card and save everyone the hassle. 

0 Likes
Ugly Girl Dance
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@usercnVghtkELn wrote:

Your analogy might work if your friend who gave you 'gifts' had a net worth of $300 Billion dollars. Samsung is a billion dollar company that gets money every time you use Samsung pay. Their gift cards they used to give out were no different than the points/dollars given by hundreds of credit cards out there. All these companies reap billions in profits despite the 'gifts' they give in return.  Samsung pay may be the better of the major pay systems out there but it's still rejected regularly at random places when I try to use it. So I always have to have a credit card backup everywhere I go. The bigger question that has been asked by folks here is exactly that. If I have to carry a credit card anyway, and the credit card is easier to use than Samsung pay, why bother with Samsung pay? Having to turn NFC on, swipe the app, selecting the credit card, entering a pin because iris and fingerprint scans aren't working, activating Samsung pay, hoping it works, while everyone is annoyingly waiting for me to complete the transaction... How is that convenient? Not to mention it gets old arguing with people who fight me when I try to use my phone on their systems when they're convinced it won't work. How about I spend the 3 seconds to pull out my normal credit card and make everyone happy? I'm actually secretly relieved Samsung changed their system so that there are no valuable rewards anymore. Now I can just use my credit card and save everyone the hassle. 

Samsung does not earn any money when you use samsung pay, and the rewards were way more expensive than credit cards offer. Btw, you still earn credit card rewards when you use samsung pay.

Idk how using Samsung pay is that difficult for you but for me, I just scan the phone plus fingerprint and I'm done. Much easier than cards in my wallet and more importantly, way more secure. 

If it was so hard for you to use then the rewards weren't worth it to you so I don't know what you are complaining about.

Once again, if the only benefit you saw from using Samsung pay is the free gift cards, then you are exactly why they ended it. So saying you will quit using it is telling Samsung they were right. The rest of us will happily continue to use it because it's easier and more secure than using physical cards, which mastercard has already announced that it will stop making. 

0 Likes
userK8Ub3Yh7Nc
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I'd like to know how you think Samsung Pay is easier to use than a physical credit card. I've been using it for a very long time with a few different phones and two different Samsung Gear Watches. While it doesn't constantly fail it does have a hard time sometimes where I'd either have to try it a few times, or just give up and use my physical card. The rewards are the main attraction to using Samsung Pay and  y doing away with them you would definitely lose many users including me. Credit card companies entice users to use their cards by rewarding them with points they can use on useful items or cash back. Virtually none of the rewards Samsung Pay is offering to use with their points at this time are very useful. And as everyone is correctly pointing out, cash is definitely the most useful of items. Even if they were to only allow you to buy store gift cards it would be much more useful than the items they are offering now. Now this change would not make me go out and change from a Samsung phone to an IPhone. That's not why I purchased this phone and several other Samsung Galaxy phones in the past. But it would very much dissuade me from using Samsung Pay from now on until they were to offer a more useful reward system. For me personally, and for what seems like the vast majority of Samsung Pay users, it's just more convenient and quick to use our physical cards. 

Ugly Girl Dance
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@userK8Ub3Yh7Nc wrote:

I'd like to know how you think Samsung Pay is easier to use than a physical credit card. I've been using it for a very long time with a few different phones and two different Samsung Gear Watches. While it doesn't constantly fail it does have a hard time sometimes where I'd either have to try it a few times, or just give up and use my physical card. The rewards are the main attraction to using Samsung Pay and  y doing away with them you would definitely lose many users including me. Credit card companies entice users to use their cards by rewarding them with points they can use on useful items or cash back. Virtually none of the rewards Samsung Pay is offering to use with their points at this time are very useful. And as everyone is correctly pointing out, cash is definitely the most useful of items. Even if they were to only allow you to buy store gift cards it would be much more useful than the items they are offering now. Now this change would not make me go out and change from a Samsung phone to an IPhone. That's not why I purchased this phone and several other Samsung Galaxy phones in the past. But it would very much dissuade me from using Samsung Pay from now on until they were to offer a more useful reward system. For me personally, and for what seems like the vast majority of Samsung Pay users, it's just more convenient and quick to use our physical cards. 

You should not be having any trouble using Samsung Pay. You should google where to aim. It almost never fails for me, and when it does, it's because it worked twice in a row, so it rejects both and has me try again. I have so far used an S8+, an S9+ and a Note 9. Have not had any trouble with any. My wife has used all three phones as well, with no issues. 

Why are you comparing Samsung Pay rewards with credit card rewards? When you use Samsung Pay, you are still earning your normal credit card rewards if you are using those cards to pay. Samsung Pay is not there just to accumulate rewards. It SHOULD primarily be used to hide your real credit card numbers and use an encrypted Samsung Pay number, for security reasons. Second, it is much easier to pay with than a physical card. If you haven't learned how to use it, then you can't fault the program for that.

Whether or not you find value in Samsung Pay without rewards, the fact is that millions would use it regardless of rewards, just as millions use Apple Pay or Google Pay without rewards. Neither Apple nor Google have ever offered rewards, yet many people use them. If your theory is correct that these payment systems are more difficult, then why are so many going through the hassle? Clearly, there is some value to them. Now add to that value the fact that samsung pay works on the old credit card readers that Apple Pay and Google Pay cannot and will never be able to read (Because Samsung owns the patent), and you find that samsung pay has even more value than Apple Pay or Google Pay, which are both already very popular, without any rewards offered.

If you don't agree, that is fine. But Samsung didn't just pull this program and crossed its fingers hoping that no one would quit. It specifically targetted those who were only using it for rewards, with the goal of only keeping those who used it for convenience and security. Why should a superior payment system have to waste so much money on the likes of you when its inferior competitors don't offer anything similar? In other words, you didn't quit Samsung Pay; you were fired.

0 Likes