Original topic:

Security System prioritizing PIN over fingerprint?

(Topic created: 06-11-2022 05:01 AM)
Jetster
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hi, I have an S10e and I often restart my device so that way it runs at peak performance, however.....

I can't understand why the device asks me for my pin rather than my fingerprint. Fingerprints are way more secure than pins, patterns, passwords, etc.

I understand that if this gets updated my phone won't get it. Because ONE UI 4.1 was my last update (and the security update) however.

Why are pins required rather than fingerprints especially devices with the 3d/sonic fingerprint sensor? This is just for the initial unlock after a restart. Help me understand or fix this issue.

10 Replies
Yamialex224
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S Phones
It's required it's a security thing
0 Likes
Jetster
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I know it's for security but why is it preferred over the fingerprint?
0 Likes
Yamialex224
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I'm not a Samsung programmer you would have to ask them. I don't think anyone here would know. There isn't many Samsung workers on here it's mostly a forum or users
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I understand that fingerprint is way more convenient for you however just like any other smartphones. Pin, patter, password these are what you call Primary Security. Face recognition and Fingerprint are just Secondary. Which is why your phone always ask for a pin whenever you restart. It's normal. 

NoctisFFXV
0 Likes
Jetster
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Yes but why are the better security systems secondary, why not primary?
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Not sure why I know fingerprints are unique. But I guess biometrics on Smartphones are not yet perfect I have read somewhere that with face recognition someone was able to unlock his phone because they are look alike. lol

NoctisFFXV
0 Likes
Diaboyos
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I wouldn't call fingerprints more secure. All someone has to do is hold your thumb to your phone and they've unlocked it. A random 4 digit number combined with three wrong attempts and the phone wipes seems more secure.
0 Likes
Jetster
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Yes but same with passwords, I could just force somebody to tell me their password same just like forcing somebody's finger onto the scanner
0 Likes
Diaboyos
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Yes but someone could deny you their code while they couldn't deny you their thumb.
0 Likes