JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Security Update Has Bricked My S10e

(Topic created on: 3/23/21 10:40 AM)
user3IctK6C279
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

UPDATE: Nothing was salvageable from my phone and the only solution was a factory reset. Photos, notes, audio recordings, newer contacts, apps, all gone. Neither Samsung nor Verizon would take ownership for this issue and both only offered me needing to purchase a new phone as the solution. By the way, the phone was sitting at over 50% battery life, so it's unrealistic to blame the issue on the user. The selected 'solution' is not an actual solution, per se, but verification that in these scenarios, the option is a factory reset. 

I purchased the S10e and loved many features of it. I hadn't even had it for two years (1 year, 9 months). I have never cracked the screen, spilled anything on it, and have kept it in pristine condition.

My husband and I have Verizon as our provider. Saturday evening my S10e received a notification for the new security update: Android™ Security Patch Level: March 2021
Software Version: RP1A.200720.012.G970USQU5GUBH

Being on call the next day, Sunday, I decided to initiate the update (I typically delay it once or twice out of habit), since I didn't want it interfering with my work day when they force the update on you anyway. My phone downloaded the update then became stuck perpetually in a bootloop.

During the bootloop it then popped up an error screen that some information may have been corrupted. I had the option of restarting the phone, clearing all my data in a factory reset, or powering off the device. That was it. Restart attempts only dropped it back into a bootloop that would not respond to anything I did and it would only return to this menu of its own accord.

Soft reset did nothing. Selecting to turn the phone off option resulted in a bootloop and no power down. Clearing the data meant a factory wipe of my phone.

At one point the bootloop brought me into a different recovery/error menu with similar options, but then quickly returned to a bootloop or error screen.

Monday I spoke to a Verizon technician. 

I was instructed to try a soft reset I'd already tried, and asked if I could move around the settings, home screen, or unlock menu. No, I can't. There is no response other than a bootloop or the error screen.

Technician response: "Perfect! Okay, so heres the deal...this device is no longer under warranty!" and told me I have no other option but to get a new phone. 

So to clarify, an update that my phone is forced to utilize has essentially bricked it, and my option is replacement? Is that correct? No response.

We went to the Verizon store after this exchange and was told the issue was a Samsung issue and not on my carrier. They looked at my phone and said the same thing, no recourse but giving them money for a new phone.

Has anyone had this issue and what were you able to do? Were you able to open up a claim against Samsung? I'm forced to initiate a mandatory update on an immaculate, functioning phone, and the update corrupts my phone. I'm told my only recourse is that I'm SOL and have to get a new phone?

I have also tried plugging it into my computer where it isn't recognized and nothing changes. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
SamsungCole
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Okay so reading back through this, I realize I offered you steps for a different issue than what you meant. I admit I misread the issue. Your carrier may only have replacement options for you, but resetting the phone is typically the only way back in other than repairs where the phone would be wiped anyways. I know its not ideal, but its better than having to get a whole new phone in my opinion. In the future to ensure updates go through normally I would recommend to plug your phone into the charger before starting the update. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in context

0 Likes
26 Replies
ocito
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
yeah I'd file a claim million dollar corporation and they can't do a replacement? foul!!
0 Likes
Nash-837
Product Expert
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hello user3IctK6C279,

I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you, but I highly suggest contacting 1800SAMSUNG for further assistance with this issue. Additionally you can reach out to one of our moderators for assistance.

Hopefully it works out for you. 

0 Likes
SamsungCole
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Can you try going to the play store and attempt to uninstall updates to "System WebView" and "Google Chrome"? If this does not work, honestly repairs would be the next recommended step. I cannot make any guarantees, but I would be happy to see what I could offer. Mind shooting me a message here with your model code and IMEI number: https://bit.ly/3pE8Pkc

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

user3IctK6C279
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I can not access the PlayStore, as mentioned, because the phone is stuck on an error screen menu. I can not go to a home screen, unlock screen, settings menu, or anything in the phone. I can not do anything 'in' the phone. 

0 Likes
SamsungCole
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Can you try loading into safe mode to see if your phone will let you attempt the previous steps? Additionally you can try a Cache partition wipe to get back in. Please let me know if either of these make a difference. 

*Edit to add steps if you need them:

Safe Mode: https://www.androidauthority.com/safe-mode-on-the-samsung-galaxy-s10-970172/#:~:text=%20How%20boot%2...

Cache Partition Wipe: https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/android/samsung-galaxy-s10/wipe-cache-partition-samsung-gal...

0 Likes
RNG_Anarchist
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
this normally happens when the battery dies mid update was the phone on charge and was the battery atleat 50%
0 Likes
user3IctK6C279
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

The phone was not low on battery at the time of initiating the update, reading at least 3/4 battery life.

Even if that had been the case, is there a solution you're recommending?

0 Likes
RNG_Anarchist
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
user3IctK6C279
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

As mentioned above, for the same recommendation, I can not access the PlayStore with my phone. There is no ability for me to get out of the error screen to access anything 'inside' the phone, such as applications, web browsing, or any other function. 

If the phone is soft reset or the option selected from this error recovery screen, it will enter a bootloop and return to an error screen. 

0 Likes