cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kathryna
Cosmic Ray

Security issues with Marshmallow update

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I ran the update yesterday, and now my phone cannot stay locked.  Despite the fingerprints and password set, all it takes to unlock the screen is a swipe.

By anyone.

Any random person who picks up my phone can open it and go through my emails, social media, etc.

If I change the lock setting (to just password or back to fingerprint), it is secure for a few minutes and then reverts back to the swipe.

Anyone know if there is another update coming to fix this update?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Neutron Star

Re: Security issues with Marshmallow update

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It is a new feature and is related to trusted location, devices, etc. I'm having a hard time trying to find the setting for this. But for example I've set it up to keep unlocked while connected to my gear S2 or when phone location is in my house. 

Superman on Galaxy S7 SM-G930T, T-Mobile, Baseband:G930TUVY3APIA
To OP: click "✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Neutron Star

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It is a new feature and is related to trusted location, devices, etc. I'm having a hard time trying to find the setting for this. But for example I've set it up to keep unlocked while connected to my gear S2 or when phone location is in my house. 

Superman on Galaxy S7 SM-G930T, T-Mobile, Baseband:G930TUVY3APIA
To OP: click "✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

View solution in original post

Kathryna
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you.

Neither the online chat rep at Samsung, nor the CSR I spoke to on the phone could give me an answer.  So far, so good.  Locked phone.

Breut319
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Since downloading the update 2 days ago I've lost sync connection for my contacts with my auto; completely lost my exchange server email account with those contacts overnight and had to set up when I got to work; put in trusted sites to bypass the security code, but does not work and still requires me to input the code at home and at work; battery life only lasts about 4 hrs while just sitting on my desk; tells me I have no mobile data even though that is definitely not the case; plus several other issues in the settings.  Verizon Rep is watching for the patch to come out to fix issues but this is completely ridiculous.   I'm really thinking about firing up my old phone and use it until these issues are fixed. Any other suggestions?

grandmaSPhone
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have the exact opposite. Phone never asked for a pin number, allowed me to set up a fingerprint as the unlock, and now after the MM update, it will not accept the fingerprint after restarting and is asking for a pin that was never set up. I am locked out of my phone completely and am not going to factory reset this. S6 on Sprint.

msslcross
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am having the exact same problem, but I notice this post was three weeks ago.  Did you ever find a solution?

Kathryna
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The solution suggested here worked.  I don't know when, but apparently at some point I set "home" as a secure location (possibly while setting up the Bluetooth with my new car??).  Since "home" is secure, the phone doesn't require security measures like fingerprint or password, just the swipe.  Anywhere else, I have to unlock it.

On the S6, it's under Settings - Locks and Security - Smart lock.  From there you can set or unset secure locations.