cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KJ W
Cosmic Ray

Severe lag time on S7 Edge

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My phone is experiencing severe lag times after the update to the original 7.0 update. It is so bad that I end up staring at a completely blank black screen, sometimes until the screen automatically turns itself off. What would be better, doing a factory reset or trying to clear the cache? I know how to do the reset and that it completely wipes the phone clean, but don't know how to do the cache clearing and what it actually removes from the phone. Will I lose my private information and apps?

KJ

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Severe lag time on S7 Edge

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey there, @KJ W! Along with clearing the cache, there are a couple of other troubleshooting steps that we can try before going through with a Factory Data Reset! A simple definition of cached data is that they are the temporary files that app sometimes save to your phone to help with load times. Say if your browser had the layout of a website saved as cached data, it would load faster the next time you visit the page. Here are the steps that we can try:

• Are all your Apps are up to date? If the lagging doesn't stop you, you have 2 places that you need to look. Google Play store and Galaxy app store. Go to both and check My Apps. Make sure there is no app that needs updating. 
  • Clear Application cache. Instructions are here
  • Clear phone cache. Instructions are here
  • Restart your phone in Safe mode. This is just to help you isolate the issue if it is caused by 3rd part apps. Instructions are here

If those don't help, we certainly want to assist you further with this matter. To better do that, can we have some added details about your specific device and this concern? Things that will help the most would be the exact model number and Baseband version (both under Settings>About Device) for your device as well as your carrier. Also, I wont be online for the next couple of days, but I'll leave this open to the Community to see if they have any other ideas before I get back. Thanks!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

32 REPLIES 32

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey there, @KJ W! Along with clearing the cache, there are a couple of other troubleshooting steps that we can try before going through with a Factory Data Reset! A simple definition of cached data is that they are the temporary files that app sometimes save to your phone to help with load times. Say if your browser had the layout of a website saved as cached data, it would load faster the next time you visit the page. Here are the steps that we can try:

• Are all your Apps are up to date? If the lagging doesn't stop you, you have 2 places that you need to look. Google Play store and Galaxy app store. Go to both and check My Apps. Make sure there is no app that needs updating. 
  • Clear Application cache. Instructions are here
  • Clear phone cache. Instructions are here
  • Restart your phone in Safe mode. This is just to help you isolate the issue if it is caused by 3rd part apps. Instructions are here

If those don't help, we certainly want to assist you further with this matter. To better do that, can we have some added details about your specific device and this concern? Things that will help the most would be the exact model number and Baseband version (both under Settings>About Device) for your device as well as your carrier. Also, I wont be online for the next couple of days, but I'll leave this open to the Community to see if they have any other ideas before I get back. Thanks!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey there, @m14! I'm sorry to hear that you two are having this problem as well. After the Factory Reset, did you get to test the phones before reinstalling any of your personal data? I just wanted to make sure this step was tested fully since it tends to be one of our last options. 

In the meantime, I suggest going to Google Play and Galaxy Apps to make sure all of your apps are updated. If you still have this problem with all your apps being up to date, then let's try Safe Mode to make sure this hasn't been caused by a 3rd party app. You can find the instructions and a little more information on this mode here. Outdated apps, and occasionally fully updated apps, can lead to various problems with a phone.

Let me know how this goes! If Safe Mode doesn't work, can you please go to Settings>About Device and send me the model number and Baseband version of your phone? Thanks! 

user6zhjhm78zN
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/id-3342041/videos-pausing-seconds-samsung-galaxy.html so many people are experiencing this issue as long as me. This phone is borderline broken now.

user6zhjhm78zN
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
btw the issue is on all apps, discord, google chrome, tumblr, duolingo, youtube they all freeze, flash the screen either black blank or white blank and its annoying as all hell. Someone please provide a solution.
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey Community! Anyone else seeing this problem? Anyone have a workaround? Let us know!  Smiley Happy

userWzeWWpK4hw
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have the same problem. I loved my Samsung S7...until the Nougat update. Ever since then, the performance has been really bad. When my phone rings, I have to wait for 3-4 rings before the screen wakes up and allows me to answer the phone!

I have tried factory resets, clear the system cache, all of the other basic stuff. I ran a benchmark app (AnTuTu) immediately after the factory reset and my scores are well below what the app reports as expected results for this model.

I have tried Safe Mode but can't really tell if it is any faster....and it won't let me install the benchmark tool for a meaningful test.

It's really annoying that I spent all this money to upgrade and have a phone that feels much worse than my old S4.

userWzeWWpK4hw
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Screenshot_20180105-190727.pngHere are my benchmark scores. Wise than an iPhone 6s!

userDXVsDkxBnA
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Why would not having all the apps updates cause lag?  I have Verizon  s7 edge fully updated on 7.0 And I'm having lag issues as well.   Right now my phone was lagging as I startes to type this message.   I've already cleared the phone  cache numerous times.  I'm hesitant to ever get another Samsung because I always hear they're great for the first few months but once you actually put stuff on it and use it.  It becomes laggy.   

Michael D
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Having the same issues as everyone else...  I used to love this phone, but since the update, I just want to throw it in the f****** river...

I've tried various ideas, even reset back to factory.  It works great for about a week then all the lag issues come right back even with having very minimal applications installed .

Issues range from badge icons taking forever to update, severe Android Auto lag, phone ringing but not knowing who's calling because the screen is black, keyboard not working 50% of the time when trying to type, etc...  I even believe it's causing my gear watch to have serious lag as well...  Even after resetting the watch back to factory it worked great but then started lagging again right around the same time the phone started lagging.

I've read about the recent Play Services update causing a lot of issues too so all of the recent S7 problems may or may not be related...  

Regardless, I'm just another frustrate S7 user... Smiley Sad