cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userNJkeU3rP6U
Asteroid

Smart Lock Trusted Places not working since recent update

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Since the last Samsung update my Galaxy s7 phone trusted places is not working to keep my phone unlocked AFTER it times out for the 4 hour period of inactivity.

It works fine after a reboot but then if I go past the 4 hour inactivity point and have to re-enter my PIN it then asks me for my PIN each time I use the phone.

I then have to go into settings and set up smart lock and trusted places and reboot.

Please let me know if a fix is coming and if so when.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Comet

Re: Smart Lock Trusted Places not working since recent update

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userNJkeU3rP6U wrote:

Since the last Samsung update my Galaxy s7 phone trusted places is not working to keep my phone unlocked AFTER it times out for the 4 hour period of inactivity.

It works fine after a reboot but then if I go past the 4 hour inactivity point and have to re-enter my PIN it then asks me for my PIN each time I use the phone.

I then have to go into settings and set up smart lock and trusted places and reboot.

Its due to gps positioning and accuracy, and sometimes, it doesnt sync right even when stationary. Ive learned not to trust that mode of security and its a mere temporary convenience.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Comet

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userNJkeU3rP6U wrote:

Its due to gps positioning and accuracy, and sometimes, it doesnt sync right even when stationary. Ive learned not to trust that mode of security and its a mere temporary convenience.

View solution in original post

userNJkeU3rP6U
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So since it happens without fail every time ONLY AFTER the 4 hour time out then maybe the fix will come to Google mapping?

I realize that when Samsung updates the OS then it can reveal flaws in associated programs and vise versa. A good check & balance in the end as long as it can be addressed across the platforms. It is a great upgrade for me so hoping for a fix then if enough folks mention it I'm guessing.

Thank you for the insight!

userz0DqlepQGf
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm calling bologna on that answer. I have the same GPS location listed 12 times for one. Every GPS location listed, is listed more than 5 times. I always stand in the same spot in my house, when I add a secure location. I stand in front of the oven in my kitchen. Yes, there are several different GPS locations for that one spot, depending on the day I add it, but there is never a new GPS location. They have been one of the numbers already listed for many weeks. It is not a GPS location problem. It is a software problem!

userNJkeU3rP6U
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am sorry it has taken me so long to respond back. I didn't even know a solution was put forth until I received notification of the response from userz0DqlepQGf ASTRONAUT on Wednesday 11/21 (which I tend to agree with).

Whether it is indeed a GPS positioning and accuracy issue or not advising that "Ive learned not to trust that mode of security and its a mere temporary convenience." Is not a solution and the issue should not be marked "SOLVED".

The hack I use is tedious at best and while provides functionality is still broken. Further more the phone will sometimes revert back now, before a 4 hour inactivity time out, and require my pin again. Conversely I've had it start functioning properly again and let me in without my pin and sometimes even after 4 hours of inactivity too. I have also noticed that as I move out of and then back in my "trusted place" or "recorded bluetooth device" that it will resume functionality without a phone reboot.

While this may lend itself to GPS fix syncing properly either way it needs to be addressed. It is a great feature that keeps my data safe while allowing me quick access to my phone. It may not seem like much to just enter your pin but when you have to every single time you go back & forth using the device it is frustrating. This is why most people won't even use the extra level of security in locking their device and we all know that can lead to a whole lot of downtime recovering from a loss or theft. It's a great and much needed feature so PLEASE get it fixed in a update soon.

userTy6c58Sw3C
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This has been an ongoing issue for a very long time and I don't understand why Samsung doesn't address it?  Even when I have called about it, nobody seems to even have a clue that there's been a problem.  I consider this issue a major inconvenience and seemingly if you are going to offer this as a phone feature and a pretty BIG feature, then it ought to be fixed ASAP!

Just fyi....I've found that if nothing else works, sometimes when I do a RESTART and then set the trusted location it will work..so try that if all else fails.

Highlighted
Itsnotbroken
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

THIS IS NOT A SOLUTION. IT IS NOT FIXED

useryoYoT1LAte
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I found the following article regarding this problem. Solution #5 worked for me - setting it up is a pain, but it worked great! It works around the inaccuracies in Google Maps. Basically set a trusted place as usual, then add 4 more around it making a set of location descibing a “box”. Weird, but it works - forcing Google Maps to “triangulate” (tetrangulate) in on the location. Try it out.

https://www.guidingtech.com/smart-lock-android-not-working/