JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Spam calls from the contacts list?

(Topic created: 06-02-2022 07:12 PM)
Mtiede
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones

My wife has recently received 2 calls that appeared to be from someone in her contacts.  The first one was answered and it sounded like odd noises.  So we hung up and called her contact.   That person said she had not called and didn't think it was a butt call.  She may have looked to see if she called, but I'm not sure.

The second one was a missed call.  When that person was called from contacts, she also said she had not called.

Is there some scam where they pretend to call from a known number for you and somehow they can do something with that information?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
RedOregon
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Not really, just a couple spammers who happened to pick her contact's numbers to spoof.

View solution in context

5 Replies
Solution
RedOregon
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Not really, just a couple spammers who happened to pick her contact's numbers to spoof.
Mtiede
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones

But doesn't that imply they HAVE her contacts?  That is not a good thing.  And for what possible purpose?

0 Likes
RedOregon
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Nope, they spoof numbers randomly, just happened to hit the right ones. Unfortunately, when you answer the call, it flags your number as a valid one.
0 Likes
Mtiede
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Again, to what purpose?  What can they do with knowing that it is valid?  Make another call spoofing our number?  Sell it to someone?   Something else?

0 Likes
RedOregon
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Yes, for telemarketing, unfortunately. She may or may not see an increase in spam calls. These days, I rarely answer calls right away. If someone calls and they leave a voicemail, I call back. If they don't, must not have been important. Kinda sucks, but it cuts down on the spam - if they don't get a response, they don't try after a while.
0 Likes