cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Samsung_DzjGhpJ
Astronaut

Is there a way someone can read my messages or intercept my calls with out me knowing? Roommate knows way to much, and always takking about phone hacks

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Comet

Yes there are a lot of software and other stuff that migh...

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yes there are a lot of software and other stuff that might let someone to spy on you without knowing. If s/he has access to you phone and know passcode or other info of your device they may install app that let them spy on other. And there are other stuff too but many are expensive to have and contains a lot of risk for them. Maybe s/he just know a lot of info as you can find a lot of info online nowadays, this doesn't mean s/he is doing it too, but it's good to be protected.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Comet

Yes there are a lot of software and other stuff that migh...

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yes there are a lot of software and other stuff that might let someone to spy on you without knowing. If s/he has access to you phone and know passcode or other info of your device they may install app that let them spy on other. And there are other stuff too but many are expensive to have and contains a lot of risk for them. Maybe s/he just know a lot of info as you can find a lot of info online nowadays, this doesn't mean s/he is doing it too, but it's good to be protected.

Samsung_DzjGhpJ
Astronaut

Is there a way or an app that i can run to check for a se...

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Is there a way or an app that i can run to check for a secretly installed app? Seriously, this is way outta hand

Please help me find a solution

Re: Is there a way or an app that i can run to check for a se...

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This is a very tricky question, but without getting into the specific details believe me when I say the average person would not be able to install spyware on your phone.

Now if this person is quite knowledgeable about tech and has a lot of time alone with your phone (e.g you go to the gym for a few hours without your phone) then perhaps they could install spyware on it.

Again, I have worked in IT security for over 10 years and I have seen maybe 1 actual spyware case. In that case the spyware was accidentally installed by the person themselves via a convincing popup. Not a malicious actor with direct physical access to the device.

To mitigate spyware being on your phone I would say do 5 simple things right now.

1. Backup all your important information to samsung/google/your computer whatever your preference is. Your contacts, pictures, apps, wifi passwords, calendar etc. Ensure all of it is backed up to a secure account.

Then go 1 by 1 account by account and make sure you have 2 factor authentication on. For everything. Not just your bank, but everything. 

Facebook, Instagram, twitter, emails, credit card, bank account, cell service login, netflix, if it is possible to have 2 factor authentication on it I implore you to use it.

I would say your roommate knows your password to a few things (do you leave your laptop laying around logged into your accounts?) And they have spent some time snooping around. They either snoop when you're not around or know your passwords and snoop all the time without you knowing.

Now with 2 factor authentication they can know your login and password and they still won't be able to login. You will  either use an app (like google Authenticator) or your phone number to receive random codes when you login to an account that you will need to put in as well as your password. Only then can you login. Don't have the code? You won't be able to login no matter what.

Once you do login, It will ask you everytime 'do you login from here often?' If yes set a device as 'trusted' and it won't ask for codes when you login from that device only. So if your roommate has your password and tries to login they won't be able to and you will know when and where they tried to login. 

2. Factory reset your phone (See why i told you to backup everything before). Let's say your roommate is some bad actor who somehow put spyware on your device, the only real way to get it off is to factory reset your device.

Now remember this WILL WIPE EVERYTHING off of your device. I mean everything. You will not be able to get anything back unless you backed it up first to an external place (samsung cloud, google. Etc.) So please don't forget that step.

I do not recommend doing this unless you have a good 30mins or more to spend setting your phone back up. Installing all the apps again, installing any updates, entering wifi password, setting your ringtone and alarms etc. So do this only when you have a good amount of time, with strong wifi, you do not need your phone, and are not going anywhere.

3. Once those steps are done I recommend installing a strong anti malware/spyware app. The best on the market is called 'malwarebytes' it is in the Google playstore and it is free. (It has a blue logo you will see it)

4. Make sure NEVER to click on a link, email, attachment, picture, or anything at all that you are not 100% sure is safe. Never download, install, or view any comtent that you are not 100% is from a trusted source. 9.999/10 times, in my experience, any malware/virus/spyware got on a device due to the user accidentally installing it. 

So please be very very careful, and when in doubt close it out. Better to be safe than sorry. 

5. You have a comment 'marked as solution' unless this was your intent i would recommend undoing that. It prevents more people from viewing and commenting on your question if they see it already has an aswer.

Please do not hesitate to comment back with questions and definitely update this post as soon as you can.

Good luck!

Samsung_JLeQRVc
Astronaut

Since Samsung phones are not secure, and do not offer sec...

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Since Samsung phones are not secure, and do not offer secure startup, it's a lost battle.

I would advise using clear communication with the roommate. If he/she is affiliated with 'law enforcement,' however, all you can do is document, for some time.

Re: Since Samsung phones are not secure, and do not offer sec...

JUMP TO SOLUTION

More likely than not this is a combination of a snoopy roommate and lackadaisical attention to privacy. 

The average user of social media does not have a private profile, their posts are all public, and their profile can be found by searching google for their name. 

People leave their laptops laying around always logged in because it's apparently so challenging to lock your computer with a pin/password/fingerprint that you don't tell a roommate. If this is a serious concern all OP has to do is take their security seriously for 5 seconds and this would be resolved. 

Of course the easiest method is to talk to the roommate and say "hey it's kinda weird you know this about me, who told you?" Or some other open form of communication. Just because they are roommates doesn't mean they are friends or even friendly. Add in the fact that the average person today is terrified of the slightest confrontation and viola we have OPs concerns.

Personally, i think having a conversation with my roommate, and leaving my stuff locked properly in my room, is easier and less stressful than scouring a forum for help, but I guess I'm just different.

I do hope OP has a talk with their roommate but also chooses to heed my advice and enhance their security using 2 factor authentication. If nothing else, that is something I believe every single person should use. Whether you are worried about spyware or not. 

SIWO12
Astronaut

It's better phone for me

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It's better phone for me