Original topic:

US variant lacks key feature

(Topic created: 06-20-2021 10:17 AM)
banksba732
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
A key feature when selecting my cell phone was the ability to have esim to support dual SIM for international travel vs. carrying another phone for a non US carrier. Apparently I missed a detail - per text chat below, the phone hardware is capable but Samsung has not / will not enable it. Shame on them for preventing US phones from being globally useful. 

Text response from Clark R., SAMSUNG Expert, 100% Helpful:
If your device is an US variant, it is built and equipped with Esim but this feature has not be enabled yet. Samsung is working on it so it would be available in the future to all devices that supports the esim.
9 Replies
banksba732
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Suspect US mobile carriers are a part of the problem. May be holding Samsung hostage saying they won't sell their devices if Samsung US variant allows esim for other carriers. Annoyed since I want to use esim for international travel (esim for destination). If they can unlock esim for t mobile should be able to for unlocked phones.
Options
Galaxy S Phones
You have to ask your cellular provider that you want to use your cell phone globally. Not all phones are international capable. As I know of US made phones does not support dual sim cards.

Alternatively you could use a Calling app that you could use internationally
0 Likes
banksba732
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Thing is, the Samsung phone hardware is technically capable and is unlocked (as in not 'owned' by a cellular provider). It only needs a Samsung software update to enable the esim. US carriers are happy to 'help' you use your phone globally, but at their prices. Was trying to avoid carrying a separate phone as I did for previous trips when I did not have a phone capable of dual SIM.
Cyberbuilder
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S Phones
This is because of the US carriers requiring it to be disabled here. If Samsung was allowed to enable it, they would.
banksba732
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I suspect you are correct. US customers should have the same features as any others. If the US carriers weren't colluding on this we would.
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I would say that's not right since there are others like Apple having eSIM enabled. iPhones (including XR/XS and newer) are sold around with any carrier and, yes, they do support eSIM.
Cyberbuilder
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S Phones
The difference is that carriers don't get a say in iPhone development whereas on Android platforms carriers are free to make up their own requirements. Unfortunately, Samsung isn't large enough to say no to the carriers and risk losing the retail contracts.
DougJulien
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

" Samsung is working on it so it would be available in the future to all devices that supports the esim."

But WHEN?!

users4JEKuxhGD
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I agree with banksba732 110%