JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Does unlocked phones have Wi-Fi calling capabilities?

(Topic created: 01-05-2019 06:42 PM)
userDcTWtPzUhh
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Can someone tell me......if I buy an unlocked S9+, will it have WiFi calling capabilities with the carrier I bring it to?

84 Replies
userObju9obvqA
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Yes, I am in the same boat. Buying an unlocked phone was a huge mistake and A LOT of money. Wifi calling was a feature I used ALL THE TIME.... no more. Shame on Samsung and Metro PCS!

user4cPeMY3KMZ
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Have you tried enabling wifi calling from your phones dialer settings?

0 Likes
stanl56
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@user4cPeMY3KMZ wrote:

Have you tried enabling wifi calling from your phones dialer settings?

If you can point out exactly where one would  enable wifi calling in the dialer settings of an unlocked S9/+ I would be eternally grateful! 😳😳😳

Stanl56
Samsung Care Ambassador
Unlocked Galaxy S20 Ultra (SM-988U1)
on AT&T
If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please mark it as "Solved."

user4cPeMY3KMZ
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I don't think AT&T supports wifi calling on the unlocked Galaxy S9

0 Likes
userWUo6UB9Q5p
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I had this issue with my S9+ brand new and nowhere to find wifi calling... Finally called Samsung as the phone was brand new and through a number on the back of the phone, they found that the phone was made for the Carribean and not the US so wifi was not on the phone. Returned it to B&H photo. 

0 Likes
Tom n
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Open phone app, then touch the three dots in upper right corner,  then touch settings.  Scroll to the bottom and follow instructions to register wifi calling.

This is a different setup location than some carrier modified phones.

useriMEUgkrgaW
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Oringianlly spoke with atnt to confirm that wifi calling, HD voice, and Visual voicemail would work on a S9 unlocked phone. This was confirmed possible by the manager at the call center. Thankfully I recorded this call becuaase here several weeks later after continued calls with atnt, and viewing this form, none are apparently possible. Lovely....

However downloading the Visual voicemail apk, works. THANK GOD  Felt like i was living in the stone age having to dial 1 and enter my password everytime.

After several hours on the phone with Atnt they did state that reflashing my unlocked s9 somehow or through geek squad would alow them to privision HD voice and Wifi calling. Having then called geek squad they stated that no way in hel* this would work. Does this have any merit / possability to work?

POSTER from several months ago, that stated he got a Caribbian based S9 unlocked that didnt have Wifi calling, did getting a new phone from Samsung solve your issue? What Carrier are you on?

Shouldn't it be illegal for Atnt to offer features that only work with their branded phones? I mean the S9 unlocked and S9 Atnt are excatly the same besides their software flashed onto them. I think it is bull that they cant flash my s9 unlocked. Even if it meant I lost the unlock, i could always reunlock it before I left Atnt.

useryrDBViDCNw
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Were you able to get an answer about this issue? I'm in the same boat as you. Atnt told me that Samsung has to resolve this issue, some Samsung representatives say that they don't have a solution for this. 

0 Likes
Samsung_Stephanie
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S Phones

It's a Carrier specific setting that only your Carrier can enable. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
userR9sPg8V936
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Unfortunately with international Samsungs (dual SIM which is awesome when traveling), there is NO Wi-Fi calling option.  T-Mobile is the only carrier I know that offers a true and full Wi-Fi calling feature which is awesome when traveling but you have to have a US phone which DOES NOT offer dual SIM versions so regrettably it is a "either or" case scenario!