Original topic:

Updates are up to the carrier no matter if the phone is unlocked or not

(Topic created: 04-19-2022 08:20 AM)
Yamialex224
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S Phones

It doesn't matter if your phone is unlocked or not. Updates are up to the carrier. The moment you put your sim card in its up to your carrier

Someone from Samsung told me there is no reason to buy an unlocked phone unless you are carrier hopping or travel outside the country or not. So before you complain to samsung and blame them it's the carrier. Your carrier is straight up lying by saying it's up to samsung to deliver updates. Its not it's the carrier 
0 Likes
7 Replies
JahRasta
Halo
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I have 2 unlocked samsung phones a S9 plus and a S20 plus which has no sim cards in them and they still get regular updates.
Marshyboi
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Same when I'm out of the country it's easier to just go wifi only with no sim and I still get regular updates.
0 Likes
MikeHunt69
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Wifi s7fe wifi still no Android 12. This is last year's model and older s6 lite even has android 12. No carrier this is a wifi tablet but Samsung still delays.
0 Likes
Yamialex224
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S Phones
A tablet is different
0 Likes
DarkPhox
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I mean they are half right, they can't push out updates for Samsung phones without getting an update from Samsung to push out. But then at that point it's up to the carrier when they push out the update after getting it from Samsung
PandoraB
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S Phones
@Yamialex224 that's not exactly true. I've checked every aspect of tmobiles website for their released software updates and the Note 10+ isn't even reported, not in testing, development, not completion...nothing, yet I've received 3 updates since the middle of March... I have no idea who they came from because unfortunately I bought an "unlocked" device that, from what I can tell, is actually a carrier branded AT&T phone, since my CSC codes show TMB/TMB/ATT currently. So either the update came from Samsung, or it possibly somehow came from AT&T, which I doubt but I've seen stranger things happen with U1 flashed phone.
So, carriers are usually responsible for updates, yes, but for unlocked phones with U1 software? I think the update comes from Samsung. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe not.
0 Likes
Yamialex224
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I got my information from t mobile and samsung
0 Likes