cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userMgC3aPVLVB
Asteroid

Updates make phone obsolete.

Has anyone else noticed?? I've been using Samsung Galaxy since they came out. I didnt catch on until I updated from S6 to S8. Samsung updates make your phone obsolete. The S4 went obsolete, through updates, about the time the S7 came out. However I upgraded to the S6. The S6 went obsolete about the time the S9 came out. Again, I upgraded to the S8. Wouldnt you know it? Now the S11 is rumored to be released at the first of the year anddddd, my S8 is recieving multiple updates a month. Causing the phone to be obsolete. Freezing, Slow, Glitches, abnormally hot, abnormal charging habits. I remember iPhone admitting to this with their phones. Im certain Samsung is guilty as well. It also amazes me, the phones start glitching right about the time you pay it off. Samsung and Apple have the phone business figured out. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice and shame on you. Samsung can you defend this theory and help me some troubleshooting?

My original post was deleted because it was it violated community standards. Hopefully now that I've reworded it, I can get some real help. 

14 REPLIES 14
userMgC3aPVLVB
Asteroid

Re: Updates make phone obsolete.

This is a shame because I really like Samsung. My entire house is outfitted with Samsung. All appliances from dryer to microwave. All TVs, sound bars and anything in between. Right down to the phones. Everything performs flawlessly, including my new phones. Once the barrage of updates begin on the phones, they dont last much longer. How do we fix this??

Honored Contributor

@userMgC3aPVLVB wrote:

Has anyone else noticed?? I've been using Samsung Galaxy since they came out. I didnt catch on until I updated from S6 to S8. Samsung updates make your phone obsolete. The S4 went obsolete, through updates, about the time the S7 came out. However I upgraded to the S6. The S6 went obsolete about the time the S9 came out. Again, I upgraded to the S8. Wouldnt you know it? Now the S11 is rumored to be released at the first of the year anddddd, my S8 is recieving multiple updates a month. Causing the phone to be obsolete. Freezing, Slow, Glitches, abnormally hot, abnormal charging habits. I remember iPhone admitting to this with their phones. Im certain Samsung is guilty as well. It also amazes me, the phones start glitching right about the time you pay it off. Samsung and Apple have the phone business figured out. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice and shame on you. Samsung can you defend this theory and help me some troubleshooting?

My original post was deleted because it was it violated community standards. Hopefully now that I've reworded it, I can get some real help. 

Planned obsolescence?  Smiley Happy

It could be what you are mentioning here, I never gave it a good thought. 

The thing is, the phones have software and when manufacturer releases an update, it often introduces some issue which are low severity and might get by unnoticed.  Then another update hits, which double the bugs and mixes with previous issues.  Things pile up, manufacturer release another update to fix old bugs and some of them get fixed, other multiply. The performance of that S8(example) is going down with that bugged software and by that time device has reached 2/3 years with no more updates.  I still own 2013(I bought it in 2015 used) Google Nexus 7 and I think it has Android 6 and that was the last OS it got.  I do have some apps crash here and there and performance isn't the top notch, but it still works.

KenpachiSan
Asteroid

Dont update. I have the s9+ and I dont feel updates are s...

Dont update. I have the s9+ and I dont feel updates are slowing it down. If anything age slows it down. Updates try to help

Highlighted
userMgC3aPVLVB
Asteroid

Re: Dont update. I have the s9+ and I dont feel updates are s...

Ive tried to put off the updates. Eventually your S9 will automatically update, no way around it. But thanks brother. 

GrahamR
Cosmic Ray

Re: Dont update. I have the s9+ and I dont feel updates are s...

Actually yes there is. It is possible to disable auto system updates.
First you need to enable "Developer options" (please Google to find out how to do that), and then turn off settings / developer options / Auto update system.

Be aware that the most recent update for S9 and S9+ breaks them for many people. Seems to be affecting mostly Unlocked US models being used outside of the US.

Regards, Graham.

userMgC3aPVLVB
Asteroid

Might I add that my girlfriends phone does the exact same thing. Just about the time you pay it off, the barrage of updates begin with hers as well. Is it a coincidence this happens when you have about paid it off? Maybe. Please help trouble shoot with this?

KenpachiSan
Asteroid

There's a way. If u dont want updates, mess up your devic...

There's a way. If u dont want updates, mess up your devices CSC code. For example. If u are on an ATT Device, install a verizon firmware using Patched Odin. The only caveat is that you have to use a firmware with similar bootloader version as u cant downgrade the bootloader. This would prevent the phone from updating as the CSC doesnt match. I did this with a friends Note8, it was a Verizon phone on Cricket wireless with Sprint software. It never updated until I installed XAA software on it, which is U1 Unlocked firmware.

userMgC3aPVLVB
Asteroid

Re: There's a way. If u dont want updates, mess up your devic...

KenpachiSan. I'm gonna need a NASA computer engineer to do all of that. But thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: There's a way. If u dont want updates, mess up your devic...

@userMgC3aPVLVB wrote:

KenpachiSan. I'm gonna need a NASA computer engineer to do all of that. But thanks.

Which phone are you using at the moment?