cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TripleJackInGA
Asteroid

VZW S7 Bluetooth Call Audio Only

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have a Verizon S7 that I've had since last Summer.

During this time, I have used Bluetooth without problems for both calls in my car, via the factory oem stereo, and for music, also via the car stereo, a set of Bluetooth headphones, and a Bluetooth speaker. 

All of the sudden in the last week, the only thing Bluetooth that works, is for Call Audio in my car. It simply refuses to connect for anything for sharing media. 

Scanning for nearby devices, it won't even find my headphones or speaker. 

When it connects to my car, it strictly says call audio only. When you go in and try to slide the bar for media, it never takes, and slides itself back to the off position. 

I've tried putting it in Airplane Mode for at least 5 minutes. I've tried telling it to forget all of the previous devices. I tried wiping the cache in all the apps individually. I tried wiping the cache partion I think in the boot menu. I tried starting it in Safe Mode.

NOTHING is working, and between this, and the delay when answering the phone (unrelated to Bluetooth), I'm starting to get annoyed to say the least.

It doesn't take a Google wizard to find endless reports of the same thing, yet no official statement, other than try the things I already tried.

This phone is on Android 6.0.1, and the last update was in November, well before this started.

I want to know why I have lost a large chunk of the functionality of this pricey paper weight.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Honored Contributor

Re: VZW S7 Bluetooth Call Audio Only

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Question 2 is definitely going to be the million dollar question after that point. For the first question though, while in safe mode, all third party applications are disabled. Any settings you've adjusted, or changes you've made overall to your devices system will still be there...so correct.

If you do wind up doing a factory reset, I HIGHLY recommend backing up your data using the PC SmartSwitch program found here - http://www.samsung.com/us/smart-switch/

It makes backing up and restoring a lot less of a hassle. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you. If a post stand out to you, perhaps you could give that post a star to show other community members they were able to assist or was relevant to you.

18 REPLIES 18
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So it's going to sound weird, but previous Bluetooth problems a lot of people experienced believe it or not was due to the Walgreens application on their phone. From what I saw updated within this last week, it seems nothing had been updated either. If you currently have it installed on your phone, might I suggest disabling/uninstalling to at least test that out. That being said, I wish I could point to the update being the problem seeing as 7.0 Nougat has been getting released for Verizon S7 models. But I know with the 7.0 updates comes more Bluetooth problems for the time being.

Have you recently changed anything about your device since this started happening? Something in your settings perhaps, or newly installed applications?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you. If a post stand out to you, perhaps you could give that post a star to show other community members they were able to assist or was relevant to you.

TripleJackInGA
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks for the reply, Marcos.

No, I saw someone post about the Walgreen's app, but I've never had that app installed. I also went in and uninstalled any apps I can think of that were recently installed. Had no effect.

I'm just about at the point of having to do a factory reset I think, and seeing if that works. I think before I do, I may uninstall every app I have installed on the phone, since I've gotten it, one at a time, to see if I get lucky.

While it may be a 3rd party app causing this, like the Walgreen's scenario, I can't believe Samcung, or someone else, hasn't come up with an app, or some other way to actually go into the phone and directly troubleshoot Bluetooth issues. It seems like a no-brainer.

So frustrated.

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Before you manually uninstall every one of your apps, there is a quick way to test the phone with all those disabled. You can do this by booting your phone into Safe Mode. Here's an easy to follow guide on how to do just that - Using Safe Mode to Troubleshoot

This will disable all third party apps and let the phone run basic functions. I'm afraid it may be harder to test bluetooth connectivity with certain applications you use, but you can at least try the barebones stock BT stuff you're wanting to.

TripleJackInGA
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I tried it in safe mode before, but just tried it again.

One thing to clarify: I have an Oontz BT speaker & an Amazon Basics BT receiver, connected to an older stereo. I had previously tried these, both normally, and in Safe Mode, but apparently I didn't press the button on them to put them into Pairing Mode.

Now that I realized that, the Amazon Basics BT receiver does connect for media audio, and actually does play music in Safe Mode. On the speaker, it connects for call & media audio, and again, it does work in Safe Mode.

When I restarted in normal mode, again, these two worked as they should.

While in Safe Mode, I deleted pairing for my car on the phone, and did the same in the car. I paired again, and again, it will only connect for call audio & contact sharing. If I try to slide the bar for media audio to ON, it slides back to OFF 2 seconds later.

It does the same in normal mode.

With the headphones, they will not connect at all in either safe mode, or normal.

Question: When the phone is placed in safe mode, it blocks all non-factory apps. If this is the result of a setting change that I simply do not remember, that incorrect setting change will still be in place in safe mode, correct?

Question: If I have to do a factory reset, and that still does not fix the issue, what on earth could it be?

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Question 2 is definitely going to be the million dollar question after that point. For the first question though, while in safe mode, all third party applications are disabled. Any settings you've adjusted, or changes you've made overall to your devices system will still be there...so correct.

If you do wind up doing a factory reset, I HIGHLY recommend backing up your data using the PC SmartSwitch program found here - http://www.samsung.com/us/smart-switch/

It makes backing up and restoring a lot less of a hassle. 

TripleJackInGA
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Well, I installed Smart Switch on my PC. It gave me a couple of fits, but I got it to backup everything. I think it's sensitive to the cable you use.

When I connected the phone, Smart Switch on the PC told me there was an update available for Nougat. I figured I'd tackle one problem at a time though.

Anywho, did that, then did a factory reset. So all brand new. Before I installed or restored anything, I tried to see if it worked on the headphones or in the car.

Headphones: Still won't find them at all.

Car: Still only connected for call audio.

Now here's where it got interesting....

This is in a 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan. The stereo is commonly referred to as a MyGig, or UConnect.

While in the car, after it again only connected for call audio, I started going through screens on the stereo.

I also tried sliding the media audio to ON again, and again it would slide itself back off.

So when pairing the phone with the stereo, I was pushing the 'MENU' button on the unit, then touching 'Device Pairing'.

There's another button on the opposite side of the stereo that says 'RADIO MEDIA'. Press it one time, and the screen shows you a choice of AM, FM, or SAT. Press it again, and it gives you choices of 'HDD, Disc, or AUX'. Pressing AUX gives you the choice to select either the 3.5mm jack, a USB drive, or (in this case) your phone!

You press the phone, and guess what? It connects.....and works like it should.

It seems that until & unless you do the 2nd part, the stereo won't allow you to connect for media audio, and that's why it kept kicking back off that option o the phone.

Full disclosure: This van was in the shop for almost 3 weeks, and I obviously forgot all of these steps.

So that's on me, and that was my biggest problem, but it still won't find the headphones. These headphones were very inexpensive, and since it is connecting to other devices like it should, I have to assume that the headphone's BT simply stopped working.

So there you have it. At the end of the day, after all of that, the biggest problem was that I forgot how to pair it properly with my car. There seems to never have been a problem with the phone.

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It's always something so simple right? The other day I was trying to troubleshoot a video connection to my monitor to an external capture card. I began freaking out because after the previous steps I had taken before I thought I had everything settled. Turns out the cord fell out and was just lying there on the ground.

Highlighted
TripleJackInGA
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Always!
userZ1d2mBXAVw
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have a Kenwood dnx773s , my Galaxy S7 would not connect media audio also but I finally figured it out go to your setup on your stereo go to AV then go to app / iPod set up and uncheck the HDMI / MHL make sure Android Bluetooth is highlighted in blue and hit done that corrected my Pandora problem and now my media audio stays on on my phone