Original topic:

What is Private DNS?

(Topic created: 08-07-2022 04:36 AM)
Mtiede
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I had what might have been a hack attack on my new home router.  I reset it and started again.  Then started reconnecting devices.  When I tried to reconnect the S10 phone to the wifi router, I got a message, "Private DNS server cannot be accessed".

I went in the phone settings and searched for DNS and turned up the Private DNS setting.  It's value was "one.one.one.one".  I don't use a VPN.  

I changed it to nothing and then connected fine.

What was happening?  Is this normal to have in the settings?  Has some hack changed something?

6 Replies
LongHiker
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@Mtiede That is a public DNS service provided by Cloudflare. It is not malicious. If you are using any type of ad blocker or malware prevention, it may have set it up on your phone. 

https://www.cloudflare.com/learning/dns/what-is-1.1.1.1/ 

Mtiede
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Yes, that is what I thought from my bing searches.  But why would it have been in my phone and why would it start complaining about it?

... time passes ...

I just realized I could look at what my wife's phone has.  Hers says "automatic".

I just don't remember having done anything with cloudflare, deliberately anyway, so not sure how mine got set to that.

We have the same model of S10 (only difference is mine has more memory and storage space)

ConorSmith
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
People don't generally target random individuals in hacks. Unless you opened any suspicious links lately you probably weren't hacked
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Private DNS allows you to use your own private DNS domain names and fully manage the associated zones and records to provide hostname resolution for your applications running within and between virtual cloud networks (VCNs), as well as your on-premises or other private network.By default, your phone uses Private DNS with all networks that can use Private DNS. We recommend keeping Private DNS turned on.

Regards,

Rachel Gomez

Mtiede
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones

How do you "turn it on"?  It is set in "Connections | More connection settings".  But I don't think there is a "turn it on" toggle.  Unless it is the "Nearby device scanning" there, but that sounds like it is probably turning something else on.

So what SHOULD be the default for the "Private DNS" setting?  Automatic?  Something else?

0 Likes
Mtiede
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Anyone know what the default "Private DNS" setting should be?

I'm fearful that a back door has somehow been put in place.  Just noticed that someone, not my IP and not my location, apparently successfully logged into my Synology Account.  

... time passes ...

Well, I'm a little less fearful now of the back door to Synology.  Turns out when I access it from phone without wifi, the connection appears to come from somewhere else.

But I'd still like to know what the default Private DNS is for others.

0 Likes