JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Where is all my storage going?

(Topic created: 05-12-2022 05:31 AM)
Khalypso1723
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I have a Galaxy S8+ with 64gb storage. I have been doing every except altering reality to try and recover space. I have moved tons of stuff to my OneDrive account, my Google Drive account, and my sdcard. I have 32.2gb worth of apps on my phone, of which only 4.39gb are on the device, the rest are on my sdcard. I even enabled developer options so I could force move some apps to my sdcard. All of my pics, videos, and music have been moved to my sdcard. When I open the "my files" app I only have 21 folders in my internal storage. I have searched every single folder and there are no large files in them. When I select all 21 files and look at the details, those files amount to a total of 412mb. When I go to the storage tab in my device maintenance, it breaks down docs (45.2mb), images (2.49mb), videos (0), audio (5.52mb), apps (32.2gb), and themes (84.4mb). Those totals amount to about 32.4gb of storage and yet I only have 4gb avail on my phone. Where is the other 30gb? Could it be my texts? I dont delete texts and my phone has texts going back to 2015. I am at a loss for what to do. I've been thinking of factory resetting my phone but idk if that will help. I have attached screenshots of my storage breakdown and my internal storage. You can see that the amounts on the storage screen does not add up to the 59.9gb that's been used and the folders in my internal storage dont even add up to half a gig. Where is all my storage??

Screenshot_20220511-230707_Device care.jpg

Screenshot_20220511-231108_My Files.jpg

10 Replies
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Idk if it's that simple but your apps say 32gbs
0 Likes
Khalypso1723
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones
But my phone has 64gb, there's 30gb unaccounted for
0 Likes
WooWestsider
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones
SD Maid by Darken Developers; it will find and allow u to delete any folders that r not being used. They call em Corpse folders and ghost files in the app. It's a solid app , open source, and does ALOT of system cleaning and optimization. It'll keep ur cache on ur entire device system, apps, ect , cleaned up so ur running at optimum performance. It's root compatible and has a 1 time charge for their pro version. Git hub promotes it , and it's available on ur google play, galaxy store , f- Droid, ect. App stores.
0 Likes
WooWestsider
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Prob is all devices create temp folders for everything. And fragments of deleted files, apps , pics, ect r in them. That's how the digital forensics Capabilities to bring back deleted data on all phones, laptops, computers . These folders add up. An older device running up to date software plus these fragmented files really add up. Also a good quality SD card thsts fast will help keep ur S8+ running quicker. Hope these pointers help out.
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Also check the system memory, that one takes up a bunch for keeping all your stuff
0 Likes
Roxanne55
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I don't know if this really helps but I have noticed no matter what device I have that being an ipad or samsung android devices 64gb of internal storage just isn't enough to keep up with what apps are running. You need at minimum 256gb of internal storage. For me even 128gb is too small.
0 Likes
TacoMaster63
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I still use 32 gb. I have a galaxy S7 with only 32 gb available. So there isn't much on mine.

But I know the operating system can take up a couple gigabytes.

Also, go to settings, device care and then press optimize. After that, you can mess around with some of the storage settings (And look at some performance and battery settings too) and see if you can clear anything for more storage.
Solution
TacoMaster63
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S Phones
You may need to reset your phone to factory defaults if you really need more space.
Cuchulainn
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones
You could try deleting app caches as well. Some of them can take up quite a bit of space. While you can do it manually app by app, CCleaner has a deep clean option that can delete both visible and hidden caches and recover some space.