cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
halloweenspook
Cosmic Ray

Why do I keep getting 'Screen overlay detected' whenever I try to give a new app permissions?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

***HELP***

Whenever I try to give a new app permissions on my S7 Edge I get a popup that says 'Screen overlay detected'. The popup states: 'To change this permission setting you first have to turn off the screen overlay from Settings > Apps'. I've tried this MULTIPLE times & it NEVER works! I REALLY hope somebody knows how to fix this issue. I'm THIS CLOSE to going back to iPhone. I've only had this phone since mid Apr 2016 & am REALLY starting to hate it!

***HELP***

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Neutron Star

Re: Why do I keep getting 'Screen overlay detected' whenever I try to give a new app permissions?

JUMP TO SOLUTION
You just have to turn off Twilight and then take the actions you want to take. You can then turn the Twilight app on again.

Superman on Galaxy S7 SM-G930T, T-Mobile, Baseband:G930TUVY3APIA
To OP: click "✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

262 REPLIES 262
Lilfredy
Asteroid

Re: Why do I keep getting 'Screen overlay detected' whenever I try to give a new app permissions?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

When it sends you to the page to disable screen overlay go through and keep turning off the screen over lay for each app and then try to change a permission after each one you disable and you should be able to find which apps screen overlay is keeping you from doing this I had this problem when I downloaded apps edge which is almost just like the edge screen the phone comes with and it is what was causing my problem I hope this helps as I to was freaking out as I had never had this problem before until recently 

Trenton F.
Hills
pipopipz
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Lilfredy wrote:

When it sends you to the page to disable screen overlay go through and keep turning off the screen over lay for each app and then try to change a permission after each one you disable and you should be able to find which apps screen overlay is keeping you from doing this I had this problem when I downloaded apps edge which is almost just like the edge screen the phone comes with and it is what was causing my problem I hope this helps as I to was freaking out as I had never had this problem before until recently 

Thank you for this tip! Finally figured out the solution after weeks of frustration. 

userDIVuDZkSmr
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I tuned off all apps in enabled and disabled and ones with permissions am I missing something. I have tried this same thing for several weeks. I did get it to turn off once but it just came back in 1 day. I must have done this 50 times and it won't stop. Please is there something I'm missing.

Ola12
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am having the same problem, it's very frustrating.

Black Hole

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi, everyone and thank you for reaching out to our Samsung Community.We are so happy to have you here. We would like to recommend that you go to your settings and under about device locate the build number, then click this 7 times. This will enable your developer options, and you will simply back up to the settings menu to get to this option. From here you will be able to select developer options and select to disable and enable certain features. 

halloweenspook
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Maybe I'm being dense, but which features should I be disabling/enabling from 'Developer Options' in order to get rid of my 'Screen overlay detected' issue I'm having with EVERY new app I download lately? At this point I'm just counting down the days until the iPhone 7 comes out unfortunately. I've been trying SO hard to just deal with this phone & the Android software, but there are multiple reasons that make me want to go back to Apple.Smiley Frustrated

Neutron Star

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Do you have screen lighting app like Twilight?

halloweenspook
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yes I do! That's the culprit isn't it?! Too bad! I LOVE that app! It's VERY useful!

Neutron Star

JUMP TO SOLUTION
You just have to turn off Twilight and then take the actions you want to take. You can then turn the Twilight app on again.