cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thenewbreed
Asteroid

Re: Wifi authentication error occurred

JUMP TO SOLUTION

UPDATE: I wrote to Samsung Help and basically got the brush off. This is clearly an issue affecting many Samsung users across the globe, yet they response to my ticket was to send me an extremely formulated message basically pushing me off on some Latin American department (note that we speak English only in The Bahamas) and in no way offer to resolve my issue.

Samsung support and warranty are purely Country specific. We do have a wide array of support channels for almost all the Countries across the globe. The Settings, Features and the internal components vary greatly from one country model phone to other. 

For information regarding your product and assistance for it, we suggest you to contact the appropriate country support team where the device was purchased/manufactured. You can also contact the place of purchase for any available assistance and to know the origin of the phone. For your convenience, we will provide you with a web link wherein reach the required country support team. 

I was asked for the make, model, etc of the phone and provided all that was asked + updated the software. I feel like these sort of response are an embarassment, because Samsung knows better. FAIL. I will write the department and update this thread if they give any useful info.

userO2wChbDq6Z
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

i'm going to stop posting in this thread. i'm just duplicating posts. i will post 

in this thread

Black Hole

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Have you tried forgetting the Wi-Fi network then reconnecting? Does this occur if you turn the mobile data off? 

jhonnie
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Add me to the list. Galaxy Note 8. Android v.8.0.0. Patched March 1. Two new Note 8's in the household doing this. House has multiple access points, 2.4 GHz and 5GHz. Other forums cite a (new?) security "feature" which reacts to this as a potential exploit.

thenewbreed
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Good day,

I am having the "Authentication Error" repeatedly but only whenever I try to connect to any of the corporate networks at my job. There is an internal network that works for most people in the building except for me, and a guest network that requires a browser login that also works for phones, tablets and laptops again for everyone but me. I have a home network (WEP) that works but still drops periodically. I noticed it dropping while my computer and TV were still on, but I had attributed this to my own network and not the phone.

I will need to find out what this issue is and share with the IT department, because they do not have time to troubleshoot products that are supposed to work, and will instead simply advise Purchasing not to buy this model or brand.

I am using a Samsumg Galaxy Note8

Android version 7.1.1

Samsung Experience verion 8.5

Build number NMF26X.N950FXXU3BRB5

Knox version 2.9

PLEASE do not speak to me about updating because I only just got a notification to update and this issue was occuring way before that. I have been accusing my IT department of having a crappy network because I got such sporadic service but come to find out it was this phone all along. Further, I would need wifi in order to update right now so there's that.

Right now the connection is not sporadic, is simply not connecting at all to any network here.

• I put the phone into Safe mode, deleted most apps INCLUDING my Security Master and McAfee Web Security apps. Wifi connected for about 2 minutes, then back to authentication error.
  • I went into Settings > Apps > Special Access > Device Administrators > and the only option left is 'Find my Device' which is NOT enabled. No change.
  • Restarted, rebooted router, etc. Nothing
  • With wifi turned off, I went to Settings > Connections > Advanced and turned off "Keep wifi on duing sleep" i.e set to "Never", then restarted phone then went back to the same place and set it again to "Always". No change.
  • I put the phone back into Safe mode and restarted, the connection stayed up for 10 minutes. I am still in Safe mode as I type this message, and right now both networks are giving me the "Authentication error occured" message.

Seeing as how I deleted many apps before, perhaps I should ask if I am allowed to have apps on the Samsung Note8 or it will refuse to stay connected to wifi. Or if there some other issue, it is not easily identifiable and it is wasting everyone's time. This is unacceptable for a phone that costs near to $1000. You would think there would be someone even at Samsung that has a clue, but when I look only all I see are temporary solutions, brick walls and lots of unhelpful advice like "update firmware", "replace the router" and other foolishness.

Right now, the only apps that still installed are listed below. Perhaps someone can tell me what the problem is because honestly this is wasting time, data, energy and currently Samsung is perched on my last remaining nerve having to deal with this craaap all day today. 

• Google - Drive, Duo, Gmail, Photos, Maps, Play Music, Play Store
  • Microsoft - Excel, Powerpoint, Word, OneDrive
  • Samsung - Email, Galaxy Apps, Internet, My Files, PenUp (not sure what this is), Samsung Gear, Samsung Health, SmartThings, Voice Recorder, Reminder, Samsung Members, Samsung Music Samsung Notes
  • Secure Folder
  • Adobe Acrobat
  • Anti Spy Mobile Pro
  • Calculator, Calendar, Camera, Clock, Contacts, Gallery, Messages, Phone, Settings
  • Canva, Pic Collage, Pixlr, Quik, Retro Cam
  • Chrome
  • WhatsApp
  • Dropbox, Evernote, Shopify
  • Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, Periscope, LinkedIn, FB Messenger, Pages Manager, Pinterest, Tumblr, YouTube
  • Games: Family Guy, Solitaire, Tetris
  • Upwork
  • Fire TV (remote control for Fire TV app)
  • CIBC bank app, Paypal
  • A few randoms: Flashlight Galaxy, IP Tools, Maya, Open Camera, Regrann, SHYE, Poshmark, Dining Rewards, Windy
user7zRo11YbK7
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I belive this only causes the problem to occur less often since it remains connected during sleep, however it does not solve the root cause of the problem being an issue in reconnecting to wifi which can occur when you move in and out of Wi-Fi range i.e. going from work to home etc.

userZtRIF0n8Na
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Didn't work. keeps saying Incorrect Password but I've had the same pw since installation
Highlighted
userO2wChbDq6Z
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

so, still no updates. no responses from samsung. no acknowledgment.

LeveringDE
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So glad you stumbled across this solution. I was ready to replace my S6 until I saw your post. I tried it and 48 hours later I'm still connected to my WiFi. Has not disconnected once except when I was out of range then immediately reconnected when back in range. I'll upgrade to a newer phone eventually but not yet thanks to you. I appreciate the help. 

Brucyjay
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm also having this same issue but mine is even stranger.  My phone (Note 8) works fine on my own network, but for some reason. I have the issue with xfinitywifi networks.  For those who dont know, these are the hotspots comcast provides to their customers.  There is no password to connect.  They are open unsecured wifis.  They use the mac address of your device to know it's you on their network and allow access.  Sometimes it works, most times it doesnt.  It just keeps trying to reconnect and sometimes it will connect but it's really weak signal even though theres multiple xfinitywifi spots in the location and on my computer and before this issue started, they aren't weak and worked fine.  My laptop connects fine to them.  I ran NetSetMan (or is it netsetmon? I forget) on my computer and it will show every network by mac address so I can see theres 4 or 5 xfinitywifi's near me, but in windows and on my Note 8, of course it only shows one since they all have the same SSID.  So I have no idea which one my phone is trying to connect to.  I'm sure it's probably tried to use all of them by this point since this has been an issue for many months now and I try it almost daily.  Usually when it will connect, it will work for less than a minute before disconnecting.  If I'm at work there is a xfinitywifi nearby I can connect to and it works fine there.  So its really weird to me that its o ly on certain ones.  But I know it's the phone because as I said I've tried my laptop which I can manually choose which xfinitywifi to connect to (with that NetSet software) and they work fine.  So Samsung, this is still an issue.  Please don't give up on this.  I doubt it's a ploy to get people to upgrade as someone else said,  and I know if it was I wouldnt go with Samsung again if that's their scheme.