cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userFfaC61mvwZ
Constellation

"Unfortunately, Phone has stopped working"

After the latest update, I keep getting this message whenever I get a phone call while I'm using any app.  The above message shows up, and it keeps showing even after tapping "OK" multiple times.  Even after the phones stops ringing, the message still pops up.  Putting the phone to sleep doesn't help either.  This issue can be solved only by taking out the battery, but I don't want to keep doing that. And I especially don't want to keep missing phone calls.

Does anyone else have this issue, and are there effective solutions?

33 REPLIES 33
Honored Contributor

Re: "Unfortunately, Phone has stopped working"

Hello there, @userFfaC61mvwZ
Let's try some troubleshooting steps, just let us know how these go!

1. Are all your Apps are up to date? You have 2 places that you need to look. Google Play store and Galaxy app store. Go to both and check My Apps. Make sure there is no app that needs updating. 
  2. Is your phone OS up to date? Go to Settings, About phone and check for software update. Make sure you have the latest phone software. 
  3. Clear phone cache. Instructions are here
  4. Clear Application cache and sometime Application data. Instructions are here
  5. Restart your phone in Safe mode. This is just to help you isolate the issue if it is caused by 3rd part apps. Instructions are here

If those don't help, we certainly want to assist you further with this matter. To better do that, can we have some added details about your specific device and this concern? Things that will help the most would be the exact model number and Baseband version (both under Settings>About Device) for your device as well as your carrier. Thanks!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userFfaC61mvwZ
Constellation

Hello!

Yes I have tried all of those solutions, but the problem is still there.

Are there any other methods to try?

Thank you!

Honored Contributor

Just to verify, while in Safe Mode it was still giving that error? If so the only real option left for trying to fix this is probably a Factory Reset. I don't normally like to throw out that option, but short of sending the phone in for an evaluation/repair I'm a bit out of options.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userYaq53hPoKN
Astronaut

Hello there. 

Did you solve the problem? if so, please share how.

userG76wUzdaoE
Constellation

I solved the same issue with my S5  by following the instructions in this link.

I provides complete instruction to download the google phone.apk and stop the other 3 phone apps in the application manger.

https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/get-googles-exclusive-phone-app-your-samsung-galaxy-device-01...

usernTlEgAuIbf
Constellation

Thank u man ..

This work with me ..

Thanks alot

msittig
Constellation

Thank you for your work on this. My phone has the exact same symptoms as described above. Unfortunately, the suggested solutions won't work for me because

• I'm running Android 5.0 Lollipop on an ancient Note 3.
  • I've installed non-stock bootloaders and systems on my phone a few times, so I don't get updates from Samsung.

Tonight I'm going to try to update to the latest system from SamMobile to see if that fixes the issue.

msittig
Constellation

Forgot to add, my phone is a Chinese model (bought it while living there).
Honored Contributor

Hey, @userFfaC61mvwZ. I just wanted to reach back out and see if you were able to get this fixed up! If not, please let the Community know so that they can look into different ideas to help further.