cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nebula

Re: s7 edge rear camera glass broken

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This all honestly seems a bit fishy to me. Any theory on how the camera lens could possibly just implode on its own? The phone isn't vacuum sealed or anything where it could just implode do to atmospheric pressure.

What do you guys think could have happened? 

M4panther
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'll tell you why!! They used cheap glass to make it to the market. I was the third person at best buy to pick up the preorder. The phone has been in an otterbox since the moment I got it.

I am plenty pissed off! I know nothing happened to that phone. I bet we'll see more complaints.

Highlighted
Omgitstyfudge
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So that is obviously going to happen I mean if you drop your phone on the back considering the back is glass your lucky the entire back of the phone didn't break I have an s7 edge and i love it but I hate that I can't have a fake glass screen cover 

Webhead0817
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same thing happened to me, I was taking pictures and suddenly the pictures looked fogged out...on my last shot I heard a noticeable pop and I flipped the phone over and it was shattered from the center point of the lens glass in dozens of tiny sharp pieces all pointing outward slightly from the center.....thankfully AT&T is sending a a new one and said it had seen this problem before, ironically my wife and I both got our new S7's the same day and after my lens popped the following day my wife let hers fall off of her lap , slid down her leg and hit the floor....not exactly a hard hit...maybe 2ft...but not searight to the floor...more of a slide 2 ft and a 2 inch drop....I said be carefull..baby these are more fragile than than look and what do you know....the screen was in fact cracked....that one set me back 250 with insurance...)we both have military grade cases...and used S5's until this model cam out...dropped repeatedly...myself well ..much more than my wife...I am notoriously rough on electronics ...Former Marine engineer ...what can I say I tend to be on the move.....and the S5's never had a problem.....passed mine to my son in law.....kinda want it back now.....

Nebula

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So what do you guys think is causing this? Atmospheric pressure? Is the S7 that air tight? This sounds crazy. I can't imagine how glass would just spontaneously implode. 

I could definitely see how customer service reps might be incredulous. Can we see the footage you were taking when it spontaneously shattered? 

danielk
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The glass sits in a tight frame. I think because of the heat the glass expands to much in the frame which causes it to crack.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_glass_breakage

Nebula

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Im surprised that could happen to a piece of glass so small. You'd imagine a piece this size couldn't accumulate that much expansion stress across such a tiny surface. Pretty strange. 

Jlucca18
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm glad I'm not the only one! My lens cracked last week and the only reason I even looked was because I went to take a picture and it was all foggy! I thought there was a smudge on the lens! I also have a spigen tough box! Never dropped my phone! Interesting to see what T Mobile will do for me.

Nebula

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I got insurance on my phone and so I figured I'd conduct an experiment to see if I can capture this phenomenon on film. So far I've tried placing it in the freezer and the heating it up with a blow drier until it reached 35C. I stopped at 35C because I wouldn't want to damage my phone. Nothing happened though... Anybody have any idea how it might be possible to cause the glass to crack without physical force as appears to be happening? If anybody could ever capture this on film it would vindicate all your claims. 

geniej125
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I just got my phone about 4 weeks ago with AT&T. I was looking at photos and the next thing I know, my camera looks fuzzy. The screen cracked!

I have never heard such a thing! How did you get yours replaced for free?