cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
McVitas
Cosmic Ray

wifi with 2 APs - Galaxy S8 won't switch to another one

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello, I have two APs in my appartment for better coverage. They have the same ssid and password. My previous phone used to switch to the other AP when I entered the other room where the first AP has weak signal and the second has good. But Galaxy does not want to do it and keeps the connection to AP with bad signal. Why? If I switch toggle wifi off and on it connects to the proper AP with the best signal, but it cannot do it on the fly.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Honored Contributor

Re: wifi with 2 APs - Galaxy S8 won't switch to another one

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey @McVitas

Let's check something. Go to Settings>Connections>Wi-Fi>Advanced. From there toggle On "Smart Network Switch". That should help.  Smiley Happy

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey @McVitas

Let's check something. Go to Settings>Connections>Wi-Fi>Advanced. From there toggle On "Smart Network Switch". That should help.  Smiley Happy

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

View solution in original post

McVitas
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

No, sorry it does not make any difference. I go to another room, wifi signal drops to one or no arcs and still even after few minutes it does not switch to that other AP even when it is 2meters from it. This settings is related to switching between cellular network and wifi. Not between two wifi APs if I understand it right.

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Out of curiosity, you mentioned that your old phone used to do this flip over. What kind of phone was that? 

McVitas
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Xperia Z5 Compact. I will make a video of both phones and post it here so you can see what is happening

McVitas
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Interesting. So it seems the intelligent network switching started to work now somehow ... most of the time. Sometimes it does not or seem to take a longer time.

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Oh sweet! Random, but sweet.  XD

Keep an eye on it and let us know if things get weird again.

userXI1oPP0lLo
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

my s8 does the same thing.  my old s5 would switch between the main router and the booster when it saw a stronger signal but the s8 will not do this.

Highlighted
userVkNZIKZn6Q
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm having the same problem. My galaxy s6 would toggle between my main Wi-Fi router and my booster now that I've upgraded to th s8 it won't do it. It's causing more data usage. Any fix?