cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mathew
Cosmic Ray

25w charger is slower than the 15w ?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Takes my s10+ 2 hours and 17 mins to charge fully on a 25w charger and like 1 hour 30mins on the 15w charger.. why is it backwards?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: I have tried different cables same thing..

JUMP TO SOLUTION

That's because your device will only charge at 15 watts regardless if you charge it with a 25-watt charger

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
2nopes
Astronaut

Some newer phone chargers are smart Chargers and require...

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Some newer phone chargers are smart Chargers and require the device to request a power level in order to give it to the phone if it fails to receive the request for the higher power level it will default to a lower charging state though your charger is advertised at 25 watts it may default to a lower level if the device is not sending the request signal or if something is causing it to fail to receive the signal such as a cable that is missing one or more pins that the signal would be sent on or if the connection is loose it is also possible though less likely that the charger itself could be defective if the 15 watt charger is charging faster than the 25-watt one then it is likely that the 15 watt charger is receiving the signal to send full power and the 25-watt charger is not receiving the signal try switching the cables if possible

Mathew
Cosmic Ray

I have tried different cables same thing..

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have tried different cables same thing..

Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: I have tried different cables same thing..

JUMP TO SOLUTION

That's because your device will only charge at 15 watts regardless if you charge it with a 25-watt charger

View solution in original post

Mathew
Cosmic Ray

Sooo the s10+ is locked to the 15w charging? Is there a w...

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Sooo the s10+ is locked to the 15w charging? Is there a way to upgrade it?

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: Sooo the s10+ is locked to the 15w charging? Is there a w...

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It's locked behind a software update. We need to wait for it to be released 

2nopes
Astronaut

Also if the device is not designed to handle that power l...

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Also if the device is not designed to handle that power level it will not request it

2nopes
Astronaut

If the phone's internal charging circuit is not designed...

JUMP TO SOLUTION

If the phone's internal charging circuit is not designed to run at 25 watts then attempting to force it to do so could fry it, however it has been stated by Samsung's president that an update will be coming in the near future to enable 25 watt faster charging for the s10's. So just be patient and periodically check your phone for updates under the settings. I personally would be hesitant though because from personal experience faster charging a battery can sometimes result in a shorter life span, overheating and bloating or popping. In computer repair we say that Apple's(intel) "Thunderbolt" circuitry it's called such because it tends to fail and looks like it's been struck by lightning when it does due to excessive wattage

Samsung China Division OFFICIALLY said that Samsung would...

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Samsung China Division OFFICIALLY said that Samsung would be updating the entire S10 series to allow for 25W charging, but I haven't heard anything since. I'm assuming they software locked the S10 series (except the 5G version), so they could easily do this.

Hopefully they unlock it in the next few months, because the charging speed is my main complaint against the S10 (I have the S10+), especially when compared to their competitors

@2nopes I agree, I understand it does shorten the lifesp...

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@2nopes

I agree, I understand it does shorten the lifespan of the battery, but I personally would really like to see a little faster charging, especially when compared to Samsung's competitors.