cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RobbinsF
Asteroid

All galaxy s10 devices unable to "go live" using the facebook app while on Wifi

JUMP TO SOLUTION

There is an issue with either the s10 devices themsevles, or the facebook application.  Galaxy s10 devices are unable to "go live" on Facebook within the facebook application while connected to WiFi.  When using the cellular network "4g" it works.

I have tested this with several s10e, s10, and s10+ devices that I have access to.  They span several major carriers Sprint, Tmobile, Att, Verizon.  I have also tested on several wifi networks.  Home wifi network, corporate wifi network, starbucks wifi network, and TMOBILE store wifi network. 

Each time you get the same error.  "Low network connection". 

Please if you are reading this, send a message to the facebook app developer using the email in the app store and title it Galaxy s10 facebook live issue.  The more sent the faster we will see a resolution.  Also comment on my thread on facebook about this titled  "Galaxy s10e, s10, s10+ from all carriers unable to "go live"

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: All galaxy s10 devices unable to "go live" using the facebook app while on Wifi

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I suspected the app from your first post...especially since it's working when you're connected to your mobile network. I think you already hit the nail on the head though...FB isn't recognizing the Wifi connection, so it's failing some sort of conditional check up front and just throwing an error about "low network connection."

Maybe rolling back to an older version of Facebook would help. I did a quick search online and found at least a few sites that host older versions of their mobile app for Android and iOS. If a non-functioning Go Live is hurting business, I'd definitely say give the roll back a try and wait to update until FB confirms they've ironed out that bug.

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response helped resolve your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button. Thanks!

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: All galaxy s10 devices unable to "go live" using the facebook app while on Wifi

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So it's working on 4G/LTE but not WiFi...in other words, it does work on mobile networks. That more or less rules out the FB app and probably also the OS/device. I would immediately suspect firewall or router blocking issues...though I won't jump to that conclusion because perhaps you're not having issues with other devices using "go live" on the same network. What about security or app blocking software you may have installed on your S10? Do you run security/AV apps on there? Those could be culprits as well. Either way, there are a number of steps to try to help further narrow this one down.

How many other troubleshooting steps have you taken? You've probably tried this one, but if not, worth a shot...

1. From the Home screen, swipe up on an empty spot to open the Apps tray.
  2. Tap Settings > Apps.
  3. Find and tap Facebook.
  4. Tap Storage > CLEAR CACHE > CLEAR DATA > DELETE.

If that doesn't help, try deleting and reinstalling Facebook completely...

1. From the Home screen, swipe up on an empty spot to open the Apps tray.
  2. Tap Settings > Apps.
  3. Find and tap Facebook.
  4. Tap UNINSTALL > OK.
  5. Reboot your phone to refresh its memory.
  6. Once it becomes active, open Play Store.
  7. Search for ‘Facebook’ and then install it.

Can't guarantee it will help, but I don't have issues using the Go Live feature within Facebook on my particular S10+ (carrier: Sprint, ASDA firmware/software version, latest version of Facebook app, works fine on WiFi 802.11ac and 4G/LTE), and know a few others who have used Facebook Live on S10's that haven't run into the issue you're having.

Some routers/firewalls will block RTMP which is used for Facebook streaming...if Go Live is working from your carrier's mobile network (but not WiFi) you may want to check into your firewall or router's settings and ensure the streaming service isn't being blocked or throttled from the network level. RTMP operates over TCP ports 1935 and 80...highly doubt 80 would be blocked but you may need to ensure that 1935 is wide open on your network. I have encountered a few firewalls, both on home and business networks, that do block that TCP port. AV or anti-malware software could do the same...some are overzealous and will block all incoming/outgoing connections over various UDP and TCP ports.

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response helped resolve your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button. Thanks!

useroGOinKzK2G
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have done both of your suggestions, as well as clearing the cache partition. When on wifi I get the error message "low network connection" when trying to go live as of May 30th. However my husband can go live but he has a different phone than I do. 

HELP! I use FB for my business and going live on 4G makes the videos fuzzy.

userIdxqKxdw12
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I spent an hour with Samsung on the phone 2 weeks ago explaining that Facebook live is blurry and grainy with the new S10, we went through every setting and couldn’t fix it. Any ideas. The iPhone XS has perfect live streams... it doesn’t make sense but there is some bug between Samsung and the Facebook app, 

i was thinking to get a usb 360 camera, please any ideas around this 

Dinaya
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am having the same issue. Same phone. I have found going back to an older version of Facebook then going into the app store and the app its self and turn off auto updates. 

Now this seems to work for my personal timeline but is not working for my businesses page.

RobbinsF
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Chris let me give you a little background. I am CCIE certified. I design, maintain, and implement large corporate networks in my sleep.  This includes firewall design and provisioning. 

This isn't a firewall issue as it happens on ANY wifi network.  On those same networks the other devices work fine.  I have now tested this with dozens of mobile devices from various manufacturers and they all work fine. It is only the galaxy devices that are broken. 

I have also completely wiped out a phone and tried again.  Today after this post I received a shipment of 2 more galaxy s10 devices and they will not go live when connected to wifi either. Brand new, just configured and a brand new install of FB app.

Packet captures from my wireless aps show the data never even reaches the ap.  That means it is sitting on the phone.  It never makes it to the wireless connection.   When the Facebook app loads I'd imagine the API checks the connection type and as soon as it discovers the type as wifi it breaks.  

Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Nice, a fellow Cisco CCIE. I've had my certification since 2005.

As for the FB issues, I've used FB as well as "go live" numerous times on my S10+ (wifi) without a hiccup. Several coworkers of mine also have S10 variants, S10e's, +'s, and plain old S10's, none have run into that specific issue (that I'm aware of). FB did release an app update earlier  today...have no idea if it addresses the issues you're referring to, but it definitely does not appear to be widespread. There's very little/no information out there when searching online.

Did you report the issue to FB? Did they respond? If it's an app issue they should be working on a fix. Has "go live" ever worked on your S10 on Wifi, or has it been broken since day 1, regardless of how many FB updates you've installed, or how many firmware updates you've been through?

RobbinsF
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

We're starting to see reports of it now.  I was surprised not to see anything but it's picking up steam. 

I've tried this with s10s from sprint, T-mobile, Verizon and att.

In fact my post on tmobiles site just got a response from someone else having the same issue on sprint also. 

In this very forum we know have 5-7 users complaining of this exact behavior.   On the Facebook community there are 2 or 3 posts about it as well.

It worked fine up until 2 wks ago.  I use live daily for several hours a day to create an audience for my home business.  Suddenly it stopped working.  In that time frame there was a security update from Samsung pushed Ota and a Facebook app update.

It is hard to tell which broke it.  Interestingly enough a user with one of these devices swears it was working a few days ago while mine has been broken for a few wks.  Tested at her house with the same result. 

Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

What I'm curious to know is if this just started happening (recently broken, but working before), or if Go Live has been broken from day 1 (since the S10 was initially released).

FB updates their mobile app sometimes multiple times per week. If they broke something hopefully they know about it and will fix it. The only other suspicion I would have would be related to something embedded within the S10's firmware that would be denying access somehow at the network layer (and just for WiFi).

Nevermind on those first couple sentences - saw that you posted that it had been working a couple of weeks ago. The last Samsung update I received back in mid-May, so I've been running that firmware for almost a month. Go Live has definitely worked since then. I'm 99% certain it's an app issue with Facebook...there's still that 1% chance I'm wrong though. Smiley Wink

RobbinsF
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I just updated and it's still broken.

It has to be the app. If I launch fb in Chrome and set the browser to launch as desktop version. I can go live from my phone via wifi.