cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
usersIg3L8iN4w
Asteroid

Always on display not turning off.

Hey guys 

I noticed that the proximity sensor is not turning off the AOD when it should, like when the phone is face down or in a pocket. This makes AOD a source of battery drain. Is it a bug. Is there a way to make AOD behave normally. 

13 REPLIES 13
useruzFvYf5ReU
Constellation

Re: Always on display not turning off.

Having same issue

@usersIg3L8iN4w wrote:

Hey guys 

I noticed that the proximity sensor is not turning off the AOD when it should, like when the phone is face down or in a pocket. This makes AOD a source of battery drain. Is it a bug. Is there a way to make AOD behave normally. 

mweinbach
Cosmic Ray

This could be an issue with the new proximity sensor under the display. If you have a screen protector on, i think that would do it. I recommend taking it off or trying to find a workaround for the AOD or just turning it fully off. If none of that helps, contact Samsung for an RMA since that does seem to be a proximity sensor or ambient light sensor issue. 

usersIg3L8iN4w
Asteroid

I don't have a screen protector. And my device does not need RMA. It's a known issue. We'll at least on XDA. A lot of users have been reporting this behavior. 

Danieloxor
Astronaut

Same Issue on Note 9 with newest updates of Android and AOD app, so it's not new sensor problem, it's just broken Software, kinda sad

I also have this problem on my US Unlocked Galaxy S10e.  This should be fixed so it's not draining the battery for the Always on Display when it is in your pocket or face down.

Model:  SM-G970U1

Baseband:  G970U1UEU1ASBA

Android Version:  9

Phone service provider:  AT&T

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

@trailblazer15 I believe this article here will be able to assist you with battery drain issue

@SamsungQue  I have Samsung Pay disabled. I only use Google Pay. This is not what I'm running into. What's happening is the AOD is not turning off when in my pocket or face down so that's causing additional battery drain.

TheGuessxpert
Asteroid

Have you checked your Always On Mode settings? There is an option for it to always display.

Highlighted

It's like when the screen is off, it's not pinging the proximity sensor at all.  This might be related as to why the accidental touch protection doesn't work either.  Hopefully this is fixed in an update soon.  The always on display should be turning off (when it is set to always display in settings) when the phone is face down or in a bag or pocket.  This is how it has been since the S7 when they first introduced the AOD.