cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Samsung Care Ambassador

Black bar on the camera side in landscape

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So I had the S10 for almost two full days now. And I like it OK, not too impressed, but it's good enough. I don't have too many issues with it, but I'm seeing some weird inconsistent behaviors throughout the OS that make it feel unpolished. And it's kind of annoying me.

Have anyone noticed how apps cut off the notification area of the screen when viewing them in landscape? There is a camera sure, and I guess Samsung doesn't want it to get in a way of something important in an app, but it looks so bad when it does it. And it doesn't use the same effect as the hide camera option from the settings, it just cut the whole side of the screen off with a straight line, so you have two sharp corners and two rounded corners on the other side. Unless I'm missing a setting somewhere, am I the only one that finds this implementation odd?

Try it for yourself, just open Chrome or Google Music and try using it in landscape. To make matters even worse, I was on a call and looked at a web page in landscape orientation, and the green active call indicator at the top, extended the whole way across, right over the black bar that hides the camera.20190314_114138.jpg

20190314_114056.jpg

20190314_114218.jpg

"If my post answered your question, please be sure to accept it as solution so other users can find answers quicker. Thanks"
1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: Black bar on the camera side in landscape

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Geno71 @TrustSerenity you are able to go to your Settings>Display>Full Screen Apps to toggle on which apps you want to be exclusively in full screen mode. 😀

12 REPLIES 12
TrustSerenity
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I just noticed this after you pointed out and it's horrible. I would rather have it take up the whole screen and possibly miss out on something because of the camera instead of that thick black nothing. 

Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yeah it's pretty bad. It does the same thing with many games. It almost ruins the whole experience with the phone to me. I'm still not sure if I want to keep it or go back to Note9. Note9 is just a little too big, thick and heavy for me, I love the size of S10, but these random issues make it feel unfinished and idk if I'm willing to deal with all that.

Plus the navigation bar being thicker messes with many other apps too by pushing some elements closer or cutting off portions of images or text. There is a thread going on that here. And it looks a little bit unbalanced when it touched the bottom of the cameraSmiley Sad Shame

"If my post answered your question, please be sure to accept it as solution so other users can find answers quicker. Thanks"
Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Geno71 @TrustSerenity you are able to go to your Settings>Display>Full Screen Apps to toggle on which apps you want to be exclusively in full screen mode. 😀

Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Good advice and may help with some, but whatever I tried, it just replaced the black bar with a white bar, which I'm many cases may look even worse(

Highlighted
TrustSerenity
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@VerbumVeritum I'm going to try what you suggested. 

TrustSerenity
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It worked for the most part. 

Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Looks like some games can actually push themselves to all edges of the screen, like Asphalt, it started with a black bar, but then quickly extended to the edge so the camera was on the game, but no big deal. Just like YouTube. Most of the other games that I tried though had the same black bar. It appears that it might be up to developers to decide if they want to draw around the camera or just to the bar, but how many will fix it for their apps since so many apps and games out there are not even optimized for taller screens that we have yet after 2-3 years? 

Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Geno71  enabling full screen for the app didn't work? 

Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So to be fair, it helps for many apps, especially games. Thank you. But didn't work for Chrome or Music, it just replaced the black bar with a white bar for me. I will need to play around some more with it, but it's just inconsistent, and that's the worst thing about it.

I will admit, this is as first world of a problem as they get, lol.