JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Blue dot text message by contact

(Topic created: 12-24-2019 05:28 AM)
userXtsgcad5Ta
Constellation
Options
Samsung Apps and Services

Does anybody know what the blue dot Is on the icon next to the person's name in the text message app? Only shows there. Only on select contacts.

107 Replies
Solution
CLF
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options

Hey, 

@userXtsgcad5Ta

The Samsung messages app is RCS compatible or capable. Your carrier is also running a RCS network infrastructure.

The messages app scans your contacts and connects to your your carrier database and determines how many of your contacts are using RCS capable phones and their RCS network infrastructure. It marks the contacts with a blue dot if they have met the requirements for sending and receiving messages in chat mode.

You should be able to send and receive multiple large image files at full resolution. Also uncompressed video files and your text messages character count limit should go much higher. When you send mms and text messages to contacts without the blue marker the messages app will send and receive mms and text messages using the standard messaging format.

Best regards, 

CLF

Edit Oct 5th, 2020 

My carrier T-mobile in partnership with Google has implemented RCS Universal Profile. This opens up a lot of new contacts for chat messages with friends who are using Googles jibe network. The original goal was to have Interoperability between all the carriers using Googles jibe network infrastructure. Some carriers signed on right away while others created their own proprietary chat networks. I was originally only able to chat with contacts using the T-mobile chat network but today that has all changed for the better. We still need a few more of the major carriers to join in so we can all use chat messaging regardless of which carrier we're with.

CLF 

userIlmxu1us7I
Constellation
Options

I don't know. If that is true, why is the blue dot not on all the time?

user0wl9z22ep2
Constellation
Options

I was just wondering the same thing. It disappeared beside of my contacts 

userFqsFDa3cux
Astronaut
Options

Exactly.  Means your contact has RCS messaging. Plain and simple. Look into it

0 Likes
Maxygirl
Astronaut
Options
why does the blue dot turn green sometimes
0 Likes
dt6756
Asteroid
Options

@Maxygirl wrote:
why does the blue dot turn green sometimes

My dot is sometimes green and sometimes it's pink. I don't really understand all that talk about RCS anyway and should I have to. I just want to know if I should just ignore the dots. 

userZaXRFF1PtM
Astronaut
Options

How is it my wife and I have same phone same carrier as well as my son theres always a blue dot by my sons contact in messages but not my wife's?

usertqftBMCaNx
Astronaut
Options

That's not 100% true. Alot of my contacts with the dot can do chat mode but others that can do chat mode don't have the dot.

0 Likes
userGIeDKRlvnK
Constellation
Options

I dont like when people know when I'm using my phone. Can I turn that dot off?

userDq91apKLcU
Constellation
Options

Yes, but, the ones with the blue dot also show me when that person has read their text msg. The ones that don't have the blue don't don't show tis.

Is this for the same reason?