cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Day of week highlights in Text Message

Thank you for reaching out. This is a "feature" that seems to have been added in the most recent update. It is occurring across several Android devices, Regretfully, There does not seem to be an option to disable it.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

uservnVnvR1FdQ
Astronaut

Re: Can't disable auto hyperlinks to calendar in text messages

Also being plagued by this "feature"

It really does need a disable option,  and it should not interrupt proper hyperlinks. 

Just a weird update to have been pushed out...

userKrAUWauGM9
Astronaut

I hate it too! Updated 4 days ago & I've been searching for 4 days for a solution. Please tell us all how to undo this eyesore!!

userATUrzD6wYX
Astronaut

YES! This "feature" is annoying and useless! Its unnecessary when you mention a keyword in a text and extremely problematic when it breaks hyperlinks that include one of the keywords.

Samsung and @SamsungRei please provide a way to disable this feature! It should not be automatically enabled! NO ONE CARES how this feedback is tagged in the forum, we just want a SOLUTION to this problem!!

user1E60IHHYOn
Constellation

It hit my Note8 as well..... completely useless. I have a Note9 NIB from last year's launch I was going to start using and retiring the Note8 due to battery issues. Guess I won't need a Note10 5G or any Samsung phones until they fix this.

usersmvsFkedVM
Astronaut

I hate it too!  It makes my messages feel cluttered and harder to read.  It needs to be a feature that can be disabled.  My S10 note and my kids S9's are all doing it now and none of us like it.

userMNahfcDZcT
Constellation

Solution:  Download Google's "Messages" app from the Playstore.  Open and choose this as your default app for SMS Messages.  Then, remove Samsung's Messages icon from your home screen and replace with the Google Messages Icon.  Samsung blew it on this "forced feature" that no one likes.  It's also annoying that Samsung also named it Messages, which seems to be a deliberate deception.  

I just switched and my only regret is not switching *sooner*

P.S.  While this doesn't address Samsung's own Messages app, it is a solution to the hyperlink issue.  Don't count on Samsung to to rollback that "feature" anytime soon.

userKPModeh2jA
Astronaut

Another user here checking in. Recently upgraded to a Galaxy S10e from an S7 and severely dislike these links in messages.  I have also installed the Google messages app and made it the default. No problems so far!  No unwanted links every 3 words, and so yes, it is indeed possible to send a message cleanly and without frustration, horray!  I rate the Google messages app 5 out 5 fuzzies. 

I actually have no problem using their apps since Google writes Android. I don't trust them 100%, no, but it's seemless so far.

user7NQKT27ozF
Constellation

2/6/2020 - Samsung Galaxy S8 - no problems and never even had to look for how to "solve" this issue because it did not exist until a forced update 3 days ago (Feb 3). This was supposedly a "Security Update". But, ever since, my Messages app is exhibiting the same behavior others have described. "Today", "Tomorrow", "5:15pm", etc all become hyperlinks to the Calendar app. I never even use my calendar app - I don't have the need to unless I merely want to know what day of the week someone might be referring to when they say "Can you come by on the 25th?" or something like that.

If Samsung has known about this since October 2019 (I gather this from reading the various posts and other threads/forums), why was this pushed out onto my device in February 2020? How does this help my device's "security"? It is a nuisance!!! It will make me look for another manufacturer when I upgrade my device (which will be relatively soon since my device is about 14 months old now).

SAMSUNG - Are you listening? I will not buy one of your products when I upgrade to a new device solely due to this "feature". I don't want it. I didn't ask for it! And, there is no way to disable it!  You will lose a customer who has bought nothing but Samsung devices for over 10 years now!