cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AudraD
Asteroid

Can't set different tone for text messages vs. other notifications

I just got the Samsung 10e and don't want to set custom notifications for individuals or groups; rather, I want a different tone for all text message notifications vs. other types of notifications and there seems to be no way to do this even though I could on OLD Samsung 7.  This is SERIOUSLY annoying.  Has anyone found a way around this?

8 REPLIES 8
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Can't set different tone for text messages vs. other notifications

When you go to apps, pick your apps and click on notifications, general notifications, sounds are you able to change your notifications sounds for your apps?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

userliVtfy0wpB
Astronaut

I just got the S10e and I'm having the same issue. I have gone into both my Gmail and messaging apps separately and chosen separate sounds for each, but the phone just defaults to the default sound. I spent a lot of money on this phone. To not be able to accomplish something as simple as separate notification sounds for email and text is pretty annoying, and I must say has me truly second guessing this purchase decision.

Samsung Care Ambassador

Try going to Settings, Notifications, under recently sent tap "see all", scroll down to Messages and tap it. Tap General notifications, then Sound. You should be able to select your custom text notification from this screen.

user1gVwcXA0rH
Constellation

This got it done! Thanks! Can't individualize them all, but the ones that need differentiation can be.

usermJX6pWqEvX
Constellation

You may need to make a folder called "Notification" on th...

You may need to make a folder called "Notification" on the device storage and in that folder you place tones for notifications

Highlighted
userm37CRb2VFN
Astronaut

I arrived here looking for answers but seems no answers were found til I found it myself.

I have learned that in the PHONE SETTINGS, the notification setting will really set for ALL liie mssgs, apps, calls, etc.

MESSAGE TONES

* If you want a different tone, go to the MESSAGES icon. click the settings or that 3 dots at the upper right of the screen and click settings.

Then click NOTIFICATION > click which SIM you want to set a tone > then click SOUND 

CALL TONES

* If you want a different tone, go to the CONTACTS icon. Click the settings or that 3 dots at the upper right of the screen and click settings.

Then click CALL ALERTS AND RINGTONES > RINGTONES

Then youre done! Hope it helped! 

userTuD05ERnhl
Astronaut

THANK YOU !!! 

A MILLION TIMES THIS ! SO HELPFUL !

Everyone confused, use these instructions.

phegnomenon
Constellation

*******SOLVED********

simply go to settings> apps> notifications> 

and from there you customize each particular sound from every notification that the app comes with. 

You will notice that your default sound is the same as the tone you chose in settings> sounds and vibration BUT from that first avenue I listed above (settings>apps>notifications) and from here you just change it. I had to go through every single one of my apps to make sure they weren't the same tone as my text messages but in the end, it's saved me a ton of headache knowing it's either a text, email, or app