Original topic:

Cannot add or remove apps or widget to homescreen

(Topic created: 06-20-2019 10:29 AM)
userLSQxGFLeUq
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hi

I cannot add or remove apps or widget to homescreen for my new S10. I bought it 1 months back. I could do it for first 2 weeks - after that "Add to homescreen" is disabled and cannot move new widgets too. Please help. Thanks

SamsungAdam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S Phones

​​​​​​Give these steps a try:

1. Turn off the device.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.
  3. When the Android logo displays, release all three keys.
  4. An 'Installing system update' message will show for 30 - 60 seconds before the Android system recovery menu options appear.
  5. Press the Volume down key several times to highlight wipe cache partition.
  6. Press Power key to select.
  7. Press the Volume down key to highlight yes, them and press the Power key to select.
  8. When the wipe cache partition is complete, Reboot system now is highlighted.
  9. Press the Power key to restart the device.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
carmoji
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hi There,

I was reading what you wrote here - would this erase everything on my home screen and put it back to default settings?

The reason why i am asking is because i am having a similar issue - i am currently on Note 10+, UI 2.1.  After the update, my HD Widget Weather App was missing, my google calender reminders that i manually wrote has been erased, my keyboard is back to Samsung Keyboard and no longer swiftkey keyboard, some alarms are missing on home screen.  I tried to add it back on, which my phone gave me a "widget installed successfully!" but its no where to be found.  Same with my alarm widget - i will go through picking my date and alarm settings, and the widget is no where to be found.  

There are a few other folders that went missing as well after the update.

I have troubled shooted all night long and no luck!  I cleared the cache from the weather app built-in to my phone, and still, no luck and cannot add onto home screen. 

Any idea what's going on with my phone? 

I appreciate the help amidst this pandemic!  Thank you in advance!

0 Likes
Solution
userLSQxGFLeUq
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I did the cache partition as per your instruction - but unfortunately that didn't help. A fix from my collegue helped. Here is what I did - this will help others with the same issue. 

1. In my S10, in one of the empty areas of my homescreen, I pressed to open the widget/wallpaper/themes..etc. screen.

2. Tapped the "Homescreen settings"

3. Turn "Off" the option "Lock Home screen layout"

This helped.

Still thanks a lot for all your time. I do appreciate it.

SamsungAdam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I am happy to hear you were able to resolve your symptoms. We appreciate the feedback and the solution you were able to provide.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
userYhoPkiIlic
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Thank you!

0 Likes
userEYfojXopq5
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Thanks!  So easy, but I certainly didn't find it without your help.

0 Likes
userAtQRrZxyH9
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

i accidentally wiped data instead of cashe in OneUI..now i cant add widgets...example is clock, i can add but when i open the widget i set widget settings...even if i choose a clock and save...it doesnt appear on any screen..no my home screen is not lock and ive tried all the above previous suggestions...any help....thanks

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@userAtQRrZxyH9 Do you have a third party launcher installed? Have you tried restarting the phone after adding the widget to the home screen? 

0 Likes
userAtQRrZxyH9
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

no but i did try nova and then adding widgets..same problem..so uninstalled Nova

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@userAtQRrZxyH9 Have you tried adding it to a different page? Have you cleared the cache for the app?

0 Likes