cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userxDTTzEDa5N
Asteroid

Cant connect to hidden wifi network after 10/20 update

Since the update on 10/20 i cant connect to any hidden wifi networks.  Standard wifi networks work fine.  All my regular wifi connections worked but the hidden networks will not connect.  i just keep getting authentication failed messages.  These networks were already setup and working before the update.  I have googled this and tried many of the suggestions with no success.   Cleared all network settings.. Check,  Clear Cache Partition... Check.  but no fix.  I dont want to reset my phone so that is the last option.  Is there anything else i can do aside from waiting for a new update?

14 REPLIES 14
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Cant connect to hidden wifi network after 10/20 update

Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out for assistance. May I ask have you confirmed you are entering the password correctly? Also, Have you tried resetting the router?

Spizro
Asteroid

I have this problem on my note 9. Updated on the 1st, that day I couldn't connect to my work wifi anymore(the hidden ssid network or public free wifi). Unfortunately I do not have access to the router to try power cycling it. I have successfully connected on my note 5. With same info (ssid and password)

So far I have cleared my cache through recovery mode, wiped my network settings, turned off Verizon's protection app, tried with Bluetooth off, cycled wifi on and off, in airplane mode, force closing the knox app(read it online), removed any app that can control wifi, tried updating any app that had updates in play store and Samsung store, turned off developer options, turned off auto connect, tried all the settings on and off in wifi advanced settings, tried a static ip, allowed my wifi to stay on all day to try and connect whenever. Between every test I power cycle the phone and remove/readd the network.

I'm losing my mind trying to fix it. Like I said never had a problem until this new update. I have tried to replicate it at home by hiding my 2ghz band(on 3 access point velop) but it works fine.

Can someone please get us a fix or work around? Can anyone confirm if it's only on Verizon devices? Has anyone tried wiping their phone? I'm not ready to try that yet.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Does the device get Wifi from your home?

userxDTTzEDa5N
Asteroid

I meant to say the update on 9/20 and not 10/20.

Spizro
Asteroid

@SamsungLarry yes I can connect to wifi at home. I have 6 channels of 5ghz under the same ssid and 3 channels under 2.4ghz same ssid. I tried to hide the ssid on my 2.4ghz, I couldn't initially connect but I re-added it and had no problems from then.

There seems to be a new option in wifi. Under add network>advanced then you can toggle hidden network. I don't think that used to be in there.

But still today, I just tried again and still authentication error occurred at work on both the hidden with wpa2 and visible network without password on it.

Spizro
Asteroid

@userxDTTzEDa5N who is your mobile carrier? Is it Verizon?

userxDTTzEDa5N
Asteroid

The update that broke it was on 9/20 and not 10/20. 

My carrier is Verizon and i have turned on the Hidden network option in the advanced settings.  when you add a network manually it is checked by default.  I even gave my phone to the IT people and they were unable to get my phone to connect either.  It is definately a setting or the update has caused a problem.   this is a an S10+ that was working find until the update on 9/20.  I even did a network reset and cleared out every wifi connection i had with no success.

Spizro
Asteroid

I too reset my network settings, with no luck. I'm going to try to reflash the update from the "software upgrade assistant" and see if that helps. I find it hard to believe it's only you and I that are having this problem. My gf's sprint note 9 had the error for like a day after the security update, but it worked itself out. I know I'm talking about note 9s, but it's the same problem your 10 is having. And here I though Verizon(& att) was one of the last carriers to update their phone software so they could "test the build". What a joke!

Samsung_b4t1ejP
Astronaut

It's not just you 2, Its been the same thing with my S10+ , theres a few things I'm not getting , but hidden network is the Main one