cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user2qsIAmg9Yu
Asteroid

Compass will not stay calibrated

The compass on my S10 will not stay calibrated.  When I calibrate it, is says "compass calibrated", and when I check it, it says compass accuracy:  high.  But a little while later, the accuracy will read "medium" and then "low".  This is a serious problem for me, because I rely on Googly Maps to travel to all my gigs (I'm a full-time musician) - Google Maps is going crazy while I drive, because the compass is completely off.  

I noticed this shortly after I bought the phone a couple of months ago.  I assumed it was a software problem, but I've updated the OS and Google Maps several times.  I've uninstalled the Google Maps updates and reinstalled them.  I've rebooted the phone many times.  Same problem with the compass.

Could this be an internal hardware problem?  HELP!!

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Compass will not stay calibrated

Have you tried to clear cache and data on the Google maps? also, I recommend trying this app called here we go, and you can download the route, and give it a try next and and see if it's doing the same issue. I will put a link in here. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.here.app.maps

Samsung Care Ambassador

Google Maps primarily relies on GPS not the internal compass. Your position is determined by the GPS. AFAIK, Maps only uses the compass to point the arrow (if it even uses it then). So if compass is not working, it shouldn't have much impact on Google Maps. 

user2qsIAmg9Yu
Asteroid

That's what I used to think, but it seems that is not the case - If the compass calibration is way off, and the arrow is pointing opposite from your direction of travel, Google Maps will continually try to get you back on track.  It essentially becomes non-functional.  I don't know why my compass calibration continues to go to "low" every time I calibrate it. I've done everything I could think of to fix this, including deleting my cache and date in the app, to no avail.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Are you restarting the phone and then noticing that it has change? It looks like it requires re-calibration after every reboot. https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01001369/

What are your locations service set to?

user2qsIAmg9Yu
Asteroid

Good thought, but no, it's changing whether or not I restart the phone.

user2qsIAmg9Yu
Asteroid

Regarding location services, I have Samsung Location SDK installed and running on my phone -- Are there any other options?  But again, location is not the issue, it's the compass direction that is faulty on the phone.

Highlighted

Shouldn't be a problem in newer devices but just in case I thought I'd mention. I had a Note 4 a while back that I had in a case with multiple magnets in to keep it closed. My GPS would work but whatever way it faced was as if I was going backwards. I took the case off and it worked perfectly. More than likely not the problem you're having but worth a mention.

user2qsIAmg9Yu
Asteroid

Thanks for the suggestion - However, my case is a simple slip-on case, I'm sure there are no magnets in it.  Hmmm, might be interesting to see what happens if I remove if from the case, though....

RolfVonHessen
Asteroid