cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user2ZDoGgPbFk
Cosmic Ray

Contact confusion...how to delete "Phone" contacts without deleting linked Google contacts

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have a new S10 and used Smart Switch to update from my S7 Edge to the S10. 

However, I have ended up w/my contacts (which I have always stored exclusively on my Google account) now replicated as "Phone" contacts. So when I look at the Contacts I see 1091 contacts in my Google account, and 1086 contacts in "Phone." 

If I look back at my S7 Edge, I only have 7 "Phone" contacts on that device, so the >1000 Phone contacts now on my S10 were apparently were created (unintentionally) on the S10 during the Smart Switch process.  

I assumed the fix would be to simply to delete all the Phone contacts, but when I select a Phone contact and choose Delete, a message comes up saying "All linked contacts will be deleted" and the matching Google contact is also deleted. Not what I want, obviously. I only want to delete the newly created "Phone" versions of the contacts. 

How can I do this quickly and easily? 

Thanks!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Contact confusion...how to delete "Phone" contacts without deleting linked Google cont

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same thing happened to me, I figured I'd delete the contacts under phone device.l, pointless having duplicate right?But that also deleted my Google contacts. 

I had to log onto my Google contacts on my PC, then did a restore all was good. I think the issue lies with Smartswitch and Samsung backup restore. As I recall I had similar issues when I had bought my previous device a note 9.

@user2ZDoGgPbFk wrote:

However, I have ended up w/my contacts (which I have always stored exclusively on my Google account) now replicated as "Phone" contacts. So when I look at the Contacts I see 1091 contacts in my Google account, and 1086 contacts in "Phone." 

If I look back at my S7 Edge, I only have 7 "Phone" contacts on that device, so the >1000 Phone contacts now on my S10 were apparently were created (unintentionally) on the S10 during the Smart Switch process.  

I assumed the fix would be to simply to delete all the Phone contacts, but when I select a Phone contact and choose Delete, a message comes up saying "All linked contacts will be deleted" and the matching Google contact is also deleted. Not what I want, obviously. I only want to delete the newly created "Phone" versions of the contacts. 

Thanks!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Contact confusion...how to delete "Phone" contacts without deleting linked Google cont

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same thing happened to me, I figured I'd delete the contacts under phone device.l, pointless having duplicate right?But that also deleted my Google contacts. 

I had to log onto my Google contacts on my PC, then did a restore all was good. I think the issue lies with Smartswitch and Samsung backup restore. As I recall I had similar issues when I had bought my previous device a note 9.

@user2ZDoGgPbFk wrote:

Thanks!

View solution in original post

user2ZDoGgPbFk
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks, makes sense. I was also thinking some more about this, and thought I might be able to turn off Google contact sync on my phone for my account, delete the phone contacts, and then turn on sync again. 

I wasn't aware of the restore option, so that is great to learn about that! 😎

Thanks!

user2ZDoGgPbFk
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Tried it (turn off contact sync for Google account, delete duplicate Phone account on phone, then re-enable sync again) and the contact is removed from Google Contacts as well...so there is some sort of memory there that keeps a record of the delete of the PHone account on the phone and then processes that delete on the Google account. 

So I'll follow your approach - delete all the phone contacts (which will delete the Google contacts) and then do a restore. 

Worked perfectly - after deleting all "Phone" contacts on the phone, I had to wait a bit for the contacts on the web to catch up and show all contacts deleted. Then chose the "Undo Changes" option on the Contact menu on the and chose 1 hour ago, and everything is back on the web and on my phone as I want it, as Google contacts only!  Perfect. 

Thanks again. 

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I haven't tried the following. Try not using Samsung to backup and sync your contacts and only use Google for this task. Then when you Smartswitch or restore , Samsung wont restore any contacts that I think its dumping onto the phone memory storage. Just a thought.

user2ZDoGgPbFk
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I've never used Samsung to back up and sync my contacts, only Google. This issue occurred during a Smart Switch process updating from my S7 Edge to the S10...something in there (and could have been operator error on my part) ended up creating all my Google contacts as duplicate Phone contacts. 

But all is well now. 

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Just ensure that your contacts are being saved on your Google Account as the default option and back them up prior in case. You have the option to Merge them or Only show certain contact list.

Just go to Contact settings (...) Three dot Menu.  select where you would like to store contacts as default and select the contact list that you would like to see and see if there are any contacts that need to be merged.

Hope this finds you well!

^SamsungZell

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I think what is happening here for OP case and my case is that we have set Samsung to sync and possibly backup our contacts. When it comes to upgrading or using our next latest and greatest device from Samsung ( obviously ) the contacts that are restored from Smartswitch are placed onto the device memory. Hence why I thought perhaps not backing contacts or syncing using Samsung account would help.

user2ZDoGgPbFk
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks. Contacts setting was always set to save to my Google account as the default, on both my S7 Edge and on my S10. Issue was creation of duplicate "Phone" contacts during Smart Switch process when moving to the S10. All resolved now, happily. 

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Indeed. Contact was always set to use and save to my Google account for me as well. What I'm saying is that I was also using Samsung backup and sync for my contacts too. Hence why it would show up under phone and device as well when I restored to a new device. Unchecking sync and backup of contacts under the Samsung backup menu would probably prevent this from occurring in the future.