Thank you for reaching out, this is an interesting symptom you are experiencing and I can understand reaching out because of it. How long have you been experiencing this symptom? Do you notice it anywhere else within the phone where a profile picture would be? Could you please provide a screenshot of the symptom you are experiencing?
Let's try wiping the cache partition on your device and see if that helps any.
- Turn off the device.
- Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.
- When the Android logo displays, release all three keys.
- An 'Installing system update' message will show for 30 - 60 seconds before the Android system recovery menu options appear.
- Press the Volume down key several times to highlight wipe cache partition.
- Press the Power key to select.
- Press the Volume down key to highlight yes, them and press the Power key to select.
- When the wipe cache partition is complete, Reboot system now is highlighted.
- Press the Power key to restart the device.
You also can try clearing the cache on the contact list app.
Navigate to your settings > apps > click on the 3 dots in the top right corner > select "Show System Apps" > find and click on Contacts > storage > clear cache.