JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Contacts listed in my messaging app settings

(Topic created: 01-09-2020 06:15 PM)
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I dont know how it happened but one of my contacts is now listed in my messaging app's settings. 

I dont want it there but cant seem to figure out how to remove it. I dont want to hinder receiving text messages from my contact but I dont want contacts listed in my messaing app settings--contacts dont belong there.

see attached.

thnx.2019-12-26 22.00.47.jpg

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
CLF
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hey, 

@Jon-Garrett

Thanks for the reply. The image is the menu that shows he has been added as a new category. Regardless of how this occurred I have tested a couple of ways that should remove him as a separate category. 

One way is to delete the conversation and send him a new message. It doesn't keep the customization data and sets it back to the default.

Another way is to open Samsung cloud and select backup. Remove the checkmark from all and select messages. Backup the messages. 

Open the messages app, delete the conversation, open Samsung cloud and select restore. Remove the checkmark from all and select messages. Restore the messages..

This works the same as deleting the conversation but you bring back the previous conversations with Andrew.

This isn't the way we normally clear it as a new category but it works until you figure out how to change it back to the default.

I added my phone number to my contacts and used my initials for the name. Send and receive sms and mms. Set up the customized notification tone. it adds it in messages app settings as a category. I used both aforementioned methods and they each removed it as a separate category and reset it to the default. 

Best regards, 

CLF 

I'm also waiting for the S20. I'm thinking about the plus model for the first time. Normally I stick with the base model. 

T-mobile

Android 9.0

Galaxy S9 SM-G960U 

G960USQS7CSK3

Security Patch Level

December 1st , 2019

View solution in context

12 Replies
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Of course I don't want to turn it off. Andrew is my son. I need to be able to receive text messages from him.

I cleared the cache and tried everything else I could think of

0 Likes
CLF
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hey, 

@Jon-Garrett

If you open a conversation with a contact and tap the 3 vertical dots in the upper right hand corner of the page a customization menu opens. When you set the notification type to custom and set a unique notification tone for this contact it will add them to the messages app notification settings menu as a new category. Once that is done you have a lot of options for that particular contact. You can choose not to show text messages notifications on the lock screen, change from sound and pop-up to sound or silent ect. If you open the contacts conversation and use the same customization menu and set the notification type to default it will remove them from the list in the messages app settings menu. It will show 1 category deleted afterwards.

Best regards, 

CLF 

T-mobile

Galaxy S9 SM-G960U 

G960USQS7CSK3

Security Patch Level

December 1st , 2019

Options
Galaxy S Phones

Actually that doesn't work either. That's one of the things I checked and it's set to default.

20200110_071556.jpg

CLF
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

If you open the Samsung messages app, settings, notifications and tap on the name Andrew does it open a new notification options menu?

The reason I ask is that I set up a custom notification category and left the notification tone as the default. When I tap on the name the custom menu opens. I also noticed that turning off the switch turns off the notifications ssound and pop-up ect but the messages still send and receive silently.

CLF 

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I dont understand Samsung sometimes. If a added this contact I should be able to undo it. simple but its not. 

He's only 7 so I dont want his messages on silent.  If this cant be undone which is dumb on Samsung's part I'll just leave it alone for now. 

S11/S20 gonna drop soon so I'll be upgrading as usual. 

20200110_221536.jpg

0 Likes
Solution
CLF
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hey, 

@Jon-Garrett

Thanks for the reply. The image is the menu that shows he has been added as a new category. Regardless of how this occurred I have tested a couple of ways that should remove him as a separate category. 

One way is to delete the conversation and send him a new message. It doesn't keep the customization data and sets it back to the default.

Another way is to open Samsung cloud and select backup. Remove the checkmark from all and select messages. Backup the messages. 

Open the messages app, delete the conversation, open Samsung cloud and select restore. Remove the checkmark from all and select messages. Restore the messages..

This works the same as deleting the conversation but you bring back the previous conversations with Andrew.

This isn't the way we normally clear it as a new category but it works until you figure out how to change it back to the default.

I added my phone number to my contacts and used my initials for the name. Send and receive sms and mms. Set up the customized notification tone. it adds it in messages app settings as a category. I used both aforementioned methods and they each removed it as a separate category and reset it to the default. 

Best regards, 

CLF 

I'm also waiting for the S20. I'm thinking about the plus model for the first time. Normally I stick with the base model. 

T-mobile

Android 9.0

Galaxy S9 SM-G960U 

G960USQS7CSK3

Security Patch Level

December 1st , 2019

Options
Galaxy S Phones

That seems to work.  Hopeully Samsung will simplify this in the future. 

0 Likes
CLF
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hey, 

@Jon-Garrett

I hope so too. Changes were made to the messages app customization settings menu. Your running a newer version than I am so I'm not sure how to set custom notifications or if we can on the latest version. Anyway I'm glad you were able to to remove him from the main notifications menu.

Thanks for the reply, 

Take care, 

CLF 

0 Likes
userNEBTLumRPF
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Thank you Jon-Garret. I have a Galaxy A30 and added 2 contacts simply enough, should be simple to remove them, you'd think. I used your second option and it worked.

0 Likes