JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Dex doesn't work with Windows 10

(Topic created: 11-06-2019 12:07 PM)
Mtiede
Comet
Options
Samsung Apps and Services

I watched a YouTube video that showed using Dex with Windows 10 and I thought, "I want to do that!"

So I downloaded the Windows 10 Dex app and installed it.  All seemed to go well.  Then it wanted me to plug it into the USB port of the computer, which I did.  But the App just sits there waiting to see the phone being plugged into the computer.  It has red exclamation points on the USB connectors in the diagram.

But Windows tells me that the device was plugged in.  And I can see it in File Manager.  And transfer files between the two using File Manager.

I tried rebooting phone, uninstalling and re-installing the Windows 10 app, uninstalling, deleting and re-installilng USB drivers, re-installing .  Still nothing.

I looked into Device Manager and I see two USB drivers associated with Samsung.

"Samsung Mobile USB Composite Device" and

"Samsung Mobile USB Connectivity Device V2"

The phone has a notification that says "You can use Dex on your computer".  At one point, a dialog on the phone popped up and I could see that "Transferring files" option was set for USB.

What am I missing?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Mtiede
Comet
Options

Yay, I got it.

I went to this web page:

https://help.content.samsung.com/csweb/faq/searchFaq.do 

And found these instructions:

Disconnect and then reconnect your USB cable while Samsung DeX for PC is running on your PC.

Once your mobile device is recognized by your PC, a "Samsung DeX is connected." message will appear in the notification panel on the mobile device, and then the Samsung DeX Home screen will appear on the PC screen.
If you can't see the Samsung DeX Home screen even after reconnecting the USB cable, try the following:

- Reinstall the USB Driver on your PC.
▷ USB Driver installation directory on a Windows PC: C:\ > Program Files (additional characters, such as "(x86)", may follow depending on the system) > Samsung > Samsung DeX > USB Driver > SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones.exe
※ A USB driver for Mac is not provided separately.

- The driver may not run immediately after installation. In that case, restart your PC.
- If the USB cable or hub is damaged, you may not be able to connect. Try a different USB cable or hub.
※ If Samsung DeX does not work correctly on a PC running on Qualcomm's Snapdragon platform (Windows on ARM), we recommend that you connect the PC through a USB hub instead of connecting it directly using a USB cable.
- Check the USB option through the notification displayed on your device. Then, select "This phone" for the "USB controlled by" option.
- Check whether the "Samsung DeX" icon is on the system tray of the taskbar. If you don't see it, run the "Samsung DeX" program. If you see the "Samsung DeX" icon, reconnect the USB hub or cable.

※ PCs within a company and public PCs typically have their own security software installed, so you may be unable to connect to them via USB. If you can't connect to a PC via USB, contact the administrator of the relevant PC

I ran the SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones.exe and re-installed the drivers.  That didn't help, but I rebooted the PC and then I think it took.  When I next plugged in the phone, the app auto launched and the red exclamation points were now spinning circles and then it connected.

Cool.

And...  I just realized Dex recognizes my touch screen gestures too.  Very nice.

View solution in context

20 Replies
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options

You have the S10 and are in the US? I don't believe that it has Dex to PC capability yet. 

0 Likes
useryS1rrQPzPs
Constellation
Options

Yes it does, as of early 2019. It was working fine up until a couple of months ago. Now if I want to transfer files I do it through File Explorer. I kinda liked Dex, but now it doesn't recognize poop. 6/5/2021.

0 Likes
Win2k
Asteroid
Options

At the moment, I don't think DeX for Windows 10 works with a Galaxy S10 yet, only the Note10

0 Likes
Mtiede
Comet
Options

Read my 1st post.  I WATCHED a guy using it with an S10.  And the title of the video said for S10 and S10+.

"Galaxy S10 and S10 PLUS - New incredible update now available"

0 Likes
LongHiker
Options

@Mtiede wrote:

Read my 1st post.  I WATCHED a guy using it with an S10.  And the title of the video said for S10 and S10+.

"Galaxy S10 and S10 PLUS - New incredible update now available"

The S10 software to support Dex on PC has been released in other parts of the world. Just not the US. 

0 Likes
Mtiede
Comet
Options

Hmm... The phone says Dex is ready to go in a notification.  It is just the PC that doesn't show it.  

0 Likes
Mtiede
Comet
Options

No, it was released for the US.

0 Likes
LongHiker
Options

@Mtiede wrote:

No, it was released for the US.

True it is available now. It was not 13 months ago when I made the post. 

0 Likes
Mtiede
Comet
Options
no, it was released back when I posted. as I said back then, once the drivers were updated, it worked fine.
0 Likes