Original topic:

Edge Lighting: doesn't show when screen is OFF

(Topic created: 07-07-2019 10:45 PM)
VAN300
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Good Day

I see there are many threads open relating to problems with the edge lighting feature, but none quite help me.

I personally have a Galaxy S10 plus.

My edge lighting does work (Whatsapp, Gmail, Textra). I have gone to the settings and set "Show Edge Lighting" to "Always". Now isn't this supposed to mean that the edge ligthing must show both while your screen is on and while your screen is off? However it ONLY WORKS WHEN the screen is ON. The edge lighting NEVER shows when the screen is OFF, which defeats half the purpose. I still get the notification sound when the sreen is off but no edge lighting shows. Also when I pick my phone up to turn on the screen after a notification it still doesn't show. No one seems to have a solution to this yet.

Please HELP.

Regards

Alex

A. v d Merwe
9 Replies
SamsungAdam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Can I please have your full model number, baseband version, and service provider?

Be sure to click " āœ“ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

VAN300
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Model number: SM- G975F

Baseband version: G975FXXU1ASE5

Service Provider: Vodacom (South Africa).

A. v d Merwe
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S Phones

This seems like a software issue with Samsung that hopefully they will fix. In the meantime, you can use an app called Edge Lighting Fix for All Apps in the Play Store.

VAN300
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Thanks I will try it so long.

A. v d Merwe
0 Likes
userVDjpmVKJD6
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

That's what I use - works great now!

0 Likes
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

It is strange that some people have this issue. For me the edge lighting works always, screen on or off.

Try booting in safe mode to see if the edge lighting works with screen off. If it does, then some 3rd party app is interfering with the normal edge lighting screen off functionality.

0 Likes
FUZE_Amazed
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I donā€™t believe itā€™s supposed to.

But correct me if Iā€™m wrong.

0 Likes
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@FUZE_Amazed wrote:

I donā€™t believe itā€™s supposed to.

But correct me if Iā€™m wrong.

Works just fine for me with screen off.

0 Likes
Solution
VAN300
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hi me again

I have found a solution to this after many hours of fiddling. In my case it is a settings clash/third party app interference. I only use edge lighting for 3 apps Whatsapp, Gmail and Textra.

SOLUTION:

You must change both the main 'notification settings' under your main Samsung settings and the '"in-app notification settings". Lets use Whatsapp to explain.

First in the main "Notification settings" for whatsapp I set the 'Message notifications' to [sound and pop-up] and it must be on.

Screenshot_20190709-214911_Settings.jpg

Then in my "in-app notification settings" for whatsapp I had to set 'Popup notification' to [always show popup]. 

Screenshot_20190709-215646_WhatsApp.jpg

Now originally it was set to "No popup" so that ugly square whatsapp popup window never came up, only the edge lighting showed  and only while the screen was on. After I changed this setting to always, only then DOES the Edge Lighting show when my screen was off. This is why I call it a settings clash.

ONLY when both the "main App" notification setting and "in-app " notification settings are set to _SOUND and POPUP// ALWAYS show POPUP_ does Edge Lighting work while the screen is OFF AND ON.

TEXTRA:

Then is Textras case my "main App" settings are the same as whatsapp's. With this one's "in-app" settings I had to change under Notification style - 'wake up screen' - to "ALWAYS".Screenshot_20190709-215704_Textra.jpg

This then solved the edge lighting clash for this app, Now it also shows when the screen is off.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps people @SamsungAdam @TheVampireRove @FUZE_Amazed @userVDjpmVKJD6 

A. v d Merwe