My Galaxy S10 Plus finger print scanner is not responding. When I try to unlock the screen it gives me "The Fingerprint scanner is not responding. Try again later." When I go into Biometrics to try delete fingerprints and relearn them, as I've seen responses to try that, I get "Attention An error has occurred with the fingerprint sensor. If this message appears repeatedly, restart your device." I have tried restarting my phone, and doing the soft restart and nothing works. Been using Samsung devices since the S4, never had any fingerprint issues with previous phones. Besides doing a factory reset, which I feel wouldn't solve it as it feels more like a hardware issue, any ideas on what I can do.
Have you recently updated your device?
The system cache partition stores temporary system data. It's supposed to allow the system to access apps more quickly and efficiently, but sometimes things get cluttered and outdated, so a periodic cache clearing can help make the system run more smoothly.
Follow these steps:
- Turn off the device.
- Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.
- When the Android logo displays, release all three keys.
- An ‘Installing system update’ message will show for 30 – 60 seconds before the Android system recovery menu options appear.
- Press the Volume down key several times to highlight wipe cache partition.
- Press Power key to select.
- Press the Volume down key to highlight yes, them and press the Power key to select.
- When the wipe cache partition is complete, Reboot system now is highlighted.
- Press the Power key to restart the device.
Your phone will take a little time booting up after the cache partition is wiped off of its contents as it will rebuild or recreate those caches. Don’t be alarmed if the phone gets stuck on the logo for a minute or two after this just don’t turn it off so that what was deleted will be replaced successfully. So, wait for your phone to become active. Don’t worry, this procedure is very easy and safe to do. You won’t damage your phone just by wiping the cache partition.
Does this occur with the device in safe mode?
Last but not least, let's try a factory reset. Please make sure to back up all data prior to doing so.
This also did not work, did not load the backup tried to add fingerprints and the same message from before "an error has occurred with the fingerprint scanner if this message appears repeatedly, restart your device."
I recommend having the device evaluated by a technician, you may take it to your local Ubreakifix and they can usually have it back to you within a day. I can also set you up for service to ship your device in you would be without the device for up to 2 weeks if you are interested in this, I just need the following information via private message:
First and last name
Full Street Address